Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made some Ancho chili powder today

Options
I was out of stock and couldn't find any close by. Then I remembered the stash of whole anchos in the pantry! Grabbed 5 of them, cut them open, dumped the seeds and laid 'em out in a sheet pan. Into a 300° oven for a bit and then into a blender. Made about 2 1/2 oz which should last me a while... unless I make chili.

Easy enough to do. I recall some folks were having trouble finding the powder so I thought I'd mention this. Even I can find anchos, way up here, even if I can't always find the powder.

Time for some coffee rub chicken :)

http://www.texascooking.com/features/jun97chilepowder.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I made some rib rub with some fresh ancho chilies a month or so ago.   The recipe asked for fresh ancho so I stopped at the local Mexican market.  I did the same.  Baked, dumped the seeds, and chopped in the food processor.  Fun technique for the little work it took
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I did the same as I was out of ancho powder for coffee rub. Almost forgot I had some in the pantry.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't recall what I paid for the whole anchos, but I just looked at the Spice House and whole chiles are more expensive than ground. Would have thought the opposite. Same at Penzey's. Maybe I'll just buy some poblanos and dry those :) Cheaper to drive to Texas and buy pre-ground at Mickey's H.E.B.!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut