Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood NOT available in California….

Options
Begger
Begger Posts: 569
…..Due to a weirdness of State Law.

One of those 'guilty until proven innocent' situations.

Can't buy it local or get it SHIPPED IN, even if you wanted a Pallet in one whack.  ...

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    No joke.? Is this only one brand or various ones. Call and see if they will ship it under widgets or some other discription.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    No joke.? Is this only one brand or various ones. Call and see if they will ship it under widgets or some other discription.

And risk a six-figure lawsuit for KNOWINGLY violating the law?  Not gonna happen.

I know guys that brag about shipping firearms under the radar all the time calling them "machined parts."  Good luck filing an insurance claim, or worse when the postal inspectors find out.

• ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    Options
    Kaliforniastan!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  very good point about postal inspectors.
    Of all the law enforcement types out there, you do NOT want those dudes looking for you.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    My friend is a postal inspector....  She loves the "machined parts" thing. That is a target wording they look for now...  People being way to generic. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Options
    You could always rent a 1 ton dually and take a road trip.   B)
  • Begger
    Options
    I feel like such a goofball.   My brother just came thru SoCal for a visit.   He HAD been back East.   If  I'd have KNOWN in advance he could have brought me a summers worth EASILY.   He drove a full-size pickup AND had a mostly empty covered trailer.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Seriously, don't fret about this, put it out of your mind.  Can't you see how this kind of thinking becomes an infection in your brain that leads to madness?!  Read some of the other threads, save yourself while you can.
  • Begger
    Options
    I hear you.   I was just curious since when I went to NakedWiz charcoal database I see DOZENS of brands.   I can get 3, maybe 4 of 'em.   The BGE brand is $$ so I searched for something less $$.    The Rockwood seemed to fill the bill but you see the result.   Other brands I can get here include some stuff I may not want, like ALL Mesquite.   The local big-box store had some 40lb bags of lump.   Stock up?  Big committment if it's only OK or no better than the regular stuff.

I'm using RO right now, but may grit-teeth and just buy some BGE brand.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Begger said:
    I'm using RO right now, but may grit-teeth and just buy some BGE brand.
    BGE brand lump sourced from RO. It's the exact same product in a green bag. Save your $$$. 
  • Begger
    Options
    I get the BGE / RO connect.   That being said, it MAY be possible that the BGE brand is 'select'.   My bag of BGE was head/shoulders above the RO I have been getting.   Larger chunks, and perfectly clean / coaled.    Both have very good flavor.  

I just wish the SoCal selection had a little MORE variety when it comes to lump.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Is there an Ace Hardware near you? Have them ship red bag kamado joe lump.
  • Begger
    Options
    Just bought a bag of FRONTIER lump.    I've got enough for while but will look up the 'red bag' and be ready to try it.

How's the Naked Wiz review?
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have seen it at Lowe's here in San Diego. I haven't tried it yet.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca