Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 questions

Options
slantback37
slantback37 Posts: 135
I have a couple of questions. 
1. When I spatchcock a chicken.. should I go direct??, or indirect??

2. How do I raise the grill if I went direct??

3. I have read so far that to have crispy skin I should have the temp at between 30 and 400. When I put in a meat probe. Should I put it inthe breast, or the thigh??
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    1.  Your choice.  I've done both successfully.

2.  Firebricks, beer cans, AR.  There are tons of ways.

3.  Closer to 400, 425.  i would put the probe in the breast.  You can cook the thigh a little hotter.  160 in the breast, 170-180 in the thigh.
    NOLA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    +1 to what @buzd504 says
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I prefer direct, raised, dome at least 425. Its a fast cook.

As above, any number of ways to raise the grill. I use 3 fire brick splits on edge.

Crispy chicken skin is easier if you detach the skin as much as possible, and let it sit 8 - 12 hours in the fridge. Or you can dust the skin w. corn starch, which sucks up some moisture and crisps when heated. And you can do skin side down for a few minutes towards the end.
  • slantback37
    Options
    I have 2 grills.. The SS one and I just got the cast iron one.

Will indirect work just as well?? I can see the skin on a spatched turkey needing to be crisp. The turkey I would inject, and deep fry it. How long would it take to do a 12 lb turkey spatchcocked??
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Here's a turkey from my non-AR days.  Your chicken should crisp up just fine.  I would go direct at 350 or so.  It won't take long.  Go 180 in the thigh 160 in the breast.  I hope you have a Thermapen.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160151/redneck-ar#latest
    Milton, GA.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't know how to raise it up before. Don't drink beer, but I could also make them out of some of my left over exhaust pipe pieces I still have.
    Was the skin crisp on that turkey if you can remember??
  • slantback37
    Options
    Question.. What do I do if the temp hits 160 in the breast, but isn't 180 in the thigh yet??
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Eat it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • slantback37
    Options
    Okay.. Thanks..
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    A Thermopop works well too, and it's a lot less expensive.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • slantback37
    Options
    I don't have one. i just got done buying a small grate for the bottom to increase air flow. I will have to rely on the meat probe.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    This is how I go raised
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • slantback37
    Options
    Yes. I made one. I also bought a 13.5" grate to bolt the top one to. That way I will have it just for the chickens. How much above the rim do you go??, or do you go above the rim with the meat??
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I prefer indirect. There's too much grease falling off a chicken, hitting the coals, and making bad smoke for my liking. 

And just get a thermapen already! It'll be your new best friend. I got one on an open box sale and swear it's brand new. Still comes with the full warranty also so why not save twenty percent. SWMBO thought it was still a bit pricey for a thermometer but she uses it all the time now. She even said next time we need to get a gift for my FIL that a thermopen it is. 
    NW IOWA
  • slantback37
    Options
    Would I still raise the chicken above the plate setter??
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    +1 on thermapen. I've never done a spatchcock above felt line but this week I did wings for the first time with a platesetter and then the 2 tier rack so they were high up and they were crispy , loved them
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I like to cook chicken indirect, and I've had better luck cooking at higher temps, around 400-425. I find it stays juicier if I cook it hot and fast.  I also pull the bird off at 150, and let the carry over bring it up to temp.  I don't tend to go all the way to the recommended 160, and I'm sure that one day I'll regret it, but I've found that the 150-155 mark is a sweet spot for juicy chicken. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• slantback37
    Options
    I have looked around here, and you do not find thermapens. I can only find them on ebay. Maybe some day. Not all that important. I have a pen therometer though.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have looked around here, and you do not find thermapens. I can only find them on ebay. Maybe some day. Not all that important. I have a pen therometer though.
    Go to http://www.thermoworks.com/ and get on their email list. They send out specials from time to time.  If your budget is limited buy a thermopop which is a great thermometer.  Buy a thermapen if your budget allows.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • buzd504
    Options
    I put chicken as high in the dome as I can get it when I'm doing indirect.  I use the AR with the extender and put it on the top.  I think the reflective heat from the dome really helps with the skin.
    NOLA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    1 - I like to go indirect, personally @ 375°.  

2 - I don't place a probe or use a controller, I just stabilize, place meat on, and check back in 40-50 mins and then check the internal.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slantback37
    Options
    Starting to get the hang out of setting the vents. I do have a controlor, and I see where I am going have to rig a charger to it. For Saturday now..
    I will put lump up to close to the bottom of the plate setter. Wrap the plate setter in foil to keep it clean. I will light it, and wait for the white smoke to go away. Then reset the vents, or controlor to 375 - 400. Then put in that riser. Put the chicken on. Put the meat probe in the thick part of the breast, and let her go.
  • buzd504
    Options
    I have a probe thermometer.  Rarely use it.  Thought about a controller, but don't really need that either.  The egg makes things so easy, I'm not really worried about the tech anymore (although I love my thermapens).
    NOLA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a controller and I have it for one reason and one reason only - to sleep during a 250°F cook with no worries.  For any other cook it isn't necessary, especially once you get the hang of the temps.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Why would you use a controller for a 1 hour cook?
    GWN
  • slantback37
    Options
    Okay. No controlor then. I just am not to sure if the temp is reading right on the egg.
    Another question. I have a bunch of apple wood chunks. When I put in a chunk of apple wood?? When I first start it, or after it is ready to go??
  • Nanook
    Options
    When it's ready to go. After the initial white smoke from the charcoal has cleared, and the Egg temp has stabilized at your desired cooking temp
    GWN
  • slantback37
    Options
    Would there be VOC's in that chunk of apple wood as well??
  • Nanook
    Options
    It's easy to tell the difference between good and bad smoke. Good smells good, bad smells bad.....
    GWN
  • slantback37
    Options
    Kind of hard to say. I have pushed a garbage cart at a hospital for the last 27 years. Every smell seems to be the same. I'll have the wife smell it.