Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watch out with Montreal Seasoning

Options
Cooked up some filet's last night seasoned with Montreal. They came out really salty tasting. I got to thinking about it and deduced that I was using the last of the quart size Montreal (which is essentially a mix of S&P). Well, believe the salt is heavier than the pepper, and over time the salt will make it's way to the bottom of your shaker. So be careful when you get to the end of a Montreal seasoning container, odds are, it is mostly salt. To top it off, they were Snake River Farms Filet's.. Aggh, I want a do over! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I usually go light on the seasoning with good beef. Should compliment it, not over power it. I do agree with you, sometimes the spices in pre-made rubs will settle over time, either due to weight or size. I always try to shake mine before every use.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Options
    Too bad, Were they still good?

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    That's why I only use S&P for steaks. I can regulate how much of each goes on. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Caution applies to many spice mixes. Always shake them up before use to distribute the ingredients.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Do you shake the bottle before using? Because the salt will settle.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Seems to me with constant use, that would be avoided as one is constantly turning upside down to shake / apply to meat. The Montreal Seasoning is heavily salt based.....now I am not challenging you on your warning.....but hadn't experienced this myself. It is my go to for beef.....and i too purchase in the large container like you do. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow