Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rare ribeye

Options
wellsy37
wellsy37 Posts: 21
Ok team.... You have always done me a solid in the past.... So here we go again... I love ribeyes.... Love them rare.... And want the fat to melt as much as possible... How do I do this?

The attached steak was taken directly out if the fridge and cook on each sode for 2 min at 650 -700 degrees....  this is how I want the steak to look.... But the fat was still solid and did not melt into the muscle.

Thank for the help!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bout 4 or 5 seconds from mooin'

Maybe hot tub it, then sear?  Just a stab in the dark. 
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    That looks more like tartare than rare.  :)
    Aurora,OH
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I think similar to Yolk. Reverse sear?  Slow heat at 200 dome , to an IT of 100f, remove while getting egg to 600, sear 1 minute per side?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Get a thick ribeye (at least 1.5", 2" is better) and do a reverse sear. Cook indirect at 250* until 115* and then pull it and setup for direct cooking with a blazing hot fire. Put it back on and flip until color is right.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    DMW said:
    Get a thick ribeye (at least 1.5", 2" is better) and do a reverse sear. Cook indirect at 250* until 115* and then pull it and setup for direct cooking with a blazing hot fire. Put it back on and flip until color is right.
    This is exactly how I do it 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Reverse sear for sure
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Hot tub for an hour at 110 degrees and then sear to desired color.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX