Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a stainless steel table - recommendations

MotownVol
MotownVol Posts: 1,058
I am wanting to buy a stainless steel table and would like to hear pros and cons of a few brands, Outdoor Kitchen Eq., Southern Specialties and Challenger.  Thanks for your help.
Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Challenger makes painted aluminum carts.  Very well made and the company (Jade in customer service) is great to work with.  I bought one of their carts this spring. It arrived when and as promised.  They worked with me to add a seal to cushion the egg in the cart.  Had one problem with the cart - called on Monday and the replacement part was on my front porch on Friday.

Outdoor Kitchens makes really good looking stainless steel tables.  Several members on this forum have purchased from them.  The main business of this company is the manufacture of commercial kitchen equipment ... built to last stuff.  The building of BGE carts seems to be a personal passion for Tim.  Call the number at the bottom of their webpage and ask for Tim.  He'll share pictures of completed units ... some modification is available.  Tim is easy to work with and is on here as @tspud1.  Ask for pictures of his small cart for the MM ... very neat.

Have had no experience with Southern Specialties.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MotownVol
    Thanks for the reply Jeepster.  Can you tell me why you chose the Challenger product over Outdoor Kitchen or other companies products?  
  • Jeepster47
    Simple ... I wanted stainless and the missus didn't!

There are pros and cons to either of the two I looked at.  Stainless takes some work to keep shinny, but you can set hot items on it with no worries.  The painted (powder coated?) cart is easier to keep clean looking, but you can't set hot items directly on it.

Again, I would encourage you to send a PM to @tspud1 and ask him about his product. 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited May 2015
    Have you thought about an aluminum table?  I think Innovations by Chance makes a pretty nice one.  You don't have to worry about wood warp or shinning up your stainless steel.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MotownVol
    I have looked at those, but am wanting something with enclosed storage.  I would like storage for plate setter, lump, rib rack, pizza stone, etc.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I have a Challenger. I bought it 1 yr ago. I like how all the doors have seals on them. I have had no water intrusion. It is very sturdy. The only thing I didn't like was the price.
    Danville, Il
  • Mike-J
    Mike-J Posts: 12
    I am only one week into my BGE life; but I got the Challenger Designs 54" cart for the XL BGE.  It seems to be really well built and as @mshump said, the doors are sealed well.  Mine has seen a lot of rain in the past 4 days and stayed completely dry inside.  

Also, you can get drawers and pull-outs on the right side.  The lower-left cabinet opens to easily store PS, pizza stones, grids, etc.  

Here are some pics of my setup:

Franklin, TN   -   XL BGE, iGrill2, Woo2
  • Jeepster47
    I have a large in the nest w/ handler and a large in the Challenger cart w/ a flip-up extension.  I love the free-range aspects of the nest/handler egg, but like you wanted some storage.  But, storage in the cart isn't enough for everything ... here's where I'm at right now.

- Challenger cart ... CGS racks for both eggs on shelves, misc necessary items in drawer.

- Deck box ... Plate setter, electric starter, and everything dirty associated with lump ...

- Shelving unit just inside basement ... electronics, stack of towels, and clean cooking utensils

I realize that Carolina Q is rolling his eyes right about now, but somehow the minimalistic approach is not working for me.

In looking at stainless steel tables, don't overlook this one (picture stolen from @mahenryak):

You can have it built as is or as an accessory table ... added drawer and smooth top without the egg hole.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Here's my recent post on the stainless steel tables I purchased from Tim @Tspud1 outdoorkitchenequip.com. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180511/ot-my-new-ss-tables#latest

I'm very happy with the tables and Tim is very accommodating and easy to work with.  I would definitely recommend.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @NPHuskerFL snagged a SS table from a pizza place and had someone cut the hole for the egg to drop through.
    500 Posts: 3,180
    edited May 2015
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    500 said:
    I really like this, just not the price tag.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have my large in the nest with the handler with a SS table that I got from Sam's on the left side of it, little to no maintenance, and all the mobility I need, esp since it's on an elevated wooden deck... The table was about $130

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    EGT1 with bottom drawers.  http://www.outdoorkitchenequip.com
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    If you decided to go with SS my only advice is ensure the SS grade is of quality. Not all SS are created equally. And @Eggcelsior is mostly correct...mine was a table that was in my old company's back lot for close to a decade»»» it was in the weather and we would weedeat around it and blow leaves etc around it. Had I known the company was going to go tits up I would've bought all 3 tables. Got mine for 1 Benjamin and 3 more in mods including: labor for CNC cut and other welding/materials, HD casters, SS hardware, bottle opener (absolutely necessary), SS hardware for hangers and license plate mount and high temp silicone. For $400 the old Pizza Hut 304 SS table got a facelift and has found a new purpose in life. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,600
    As Blake said, all SS is not created equal. 400 series stainless will rust badly. 304 won't rust under normal conditions and is the highest grade most folks typically use. 316 is marine grade stainless and has the highest rust resistance. A magnet will stick to 400 series stainless but not 300 series. That's how you can tell the difference in the field.