Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg Table - Looking to build

Options
Vamsi
Vamsi Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in EGG Table Forum
Hello All,
I am a newbie here and in the process of buying an XL BGE. I am going to make the table instead of buying one. The table is almost the same price. Has anyone in the Bay Area, CA built their own table?

My biggest challenges are picking the right wood and cutting the circle. I do not have any equipment and most likely I have to do this by hand. Please let me know of any suggestions, tips or comments.

Thank you in advance.
Vamsi

Comments

• golfguyjosh
    golfguyjosh Posts: 196
    Options
    I am just finishing up my table right now. So far my table it going to run me about 300 bucks in material. I just used a framing square to make my circle. Then cut it out with a jig saw. You can easily keep the table price in or under the 100 dollar range. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures right now. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Vamsi
    Vamsi Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Josh,
    What kind of saw did you use to cut out the circle in the wood? I don't have any saws and need to look into it.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Check out the other threads on here About fires.   You may be quite happy with a nest with the side tables.  
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I put a nail thru the yard stick that you hang it up with. Then had a pencil at the size I wanted then made the circle. Used a jig saw. Real easy.  Or the nest with a cabinet beside it if you don't have tools. Lots of ways to go. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hello @Vamsi .  Welcome to the forum.  I wouldn't presume to help with cooking on your egg, as I don't have mine yet.  However, if you have any specific "how to" carpentry questions I'd be happy to help, either here, or on the phone.
    Phoenix