Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Membrane off baby back ribs

Options
I'm doing a rack and have always been able to take the membrane off. As much as I tried I couldn't. I'm cooking them anyways. Am I screwed or will they be ok?

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Well you won't die, but I think you'll notice the difference. One thing I find that helps with removing the membrane is hold a paper towel in your hand when you grip the membrane to pull it. The paper towel will improve your grip greatly and the membrane will pull right off. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Just score the membrane in several places across the bones 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Are they a different brand rib?  Some ribs are sold with the membrane already removed 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Where are the ribs from? Some places, like Costco for example, sell ribs with the membrane removed.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I learned recently that membranes come off of room-temp ribs much easier than if they're refrigerator-cold.  However, every once in awhile I'll get a rack that the membrane simply won't come off in anything larger than dime-sized pieces; I don't fight them anymore, just increase the amount of rub on the top. Dad made ribs about weekly when I was growing up, and he never took the membranes off, no big deal to me.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• CAEggFan
    CAEggFan Posts: 31
    Options
    Botch that's exactly what happened here. Just couldn't get more than dime sized pieces. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's an easy trick...
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697455&catid=1

Speaking of... anyone heard how Randy's doing?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When the easy methods fail me then I grab a pair of catfish skinning pliers I keep in the back of the drawer. They have never failed me yet! BTW they are really cheap! This pair that has never met a catfish were just $2.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Here's an easy trick...
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697455&catid=1

Speaking of... anyone heard how Randy's doing?
    Gonna have to try that next time, thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have never had any problems getting the membrane off BB's.
    However, it is almost always much more difficult with SL Spare Ribs.
    Any idea why the difference??

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    When the easy methods fail me then I grab a pair of catfish skinning pliers I keep in the back of the drawer. They have never failed me yet! BTW they are really cheap! This pair that has never met a catfish were just $2.
    @RRP ... are you saying there is more than one way to skin a rib?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've had the best luck drying the ribs completely before trying the paper towel trick. It's worked perfectly for a year now. 

The he only difference will be texture. The ribs will be a little tougher with the membrane contraction that will happen during the cook. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    I don't know.  Call me weird but I'm really OK with the membrane still on.  I like the way it crisps up and I pull it off and eat it anyway.  Membrane on has never been a game stopper for me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sookie said:
    I don't know.  Call me weird but I'm really OK with the membrane still on.  I like the way it crisps up and I pull it off and eat it anyway.  Membrane on has never been a game stopper for me.
    When I trim my own spares back to St Louis style then the flap meat always has membrane which is next to impossible to remove so I don't bother. When half way through my rib cook I then enjoy the flap meat and there is no sign of the membrane let alone any tough chewy texture!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.