Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide beef short ribs - help/advice requested

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
I stumbled across a good deal on some beef short ribs when I went to the local meat market today for pork spare ribs. I'd really like to do these for a long time in the sous vide, but I've never done that before. Does anyone have a really good recipe they would share?

Here are a couple of pics to show you what I'm starting with. Do I need to pull these out of the commercial vacuum pack for seasoning or anything, or can I accomplish that at the end when I sear?

Cheers all, much appreciated!
B_B  

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    I just did Short ribs sous vide...I cooked them 16hrs @158...then I put on the Egg @250 for 3hrs...they came out great!!!
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    All of these sous vide posts lately...going to have to learn how to use mine.  Please post how they turn out--I'm interested in giving them a try.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks @Tak, hat's shorter than some of the interesting recipes I'd heard, but I'm down to try anything that will yeild good results.

Will do @chrisc133, it's a great tool!

Does anyone have one of the long (48-72hrs) recipes that's really good?

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    If you are looking for another longer cook time recommendation to try sometime, I have a recipe for 'melty steak-like texture' that calls for a medium-rare temp of 131 F for 48-72 hours.  Use of torch or CI pan recommended when searing at the end due to fall apart like quality.  (Modernist Cooking Sous Vide: The Authoritative Guide to Low Temperature Precision Cooking).  BTW the same book contains other short rib cooking times similar to what others have already shared--so there are no absolutes, here.  One time I did baby-back ribs at 136 for an extended period of time and they were amazing.  Only problem was, and it was a big one, my wife couldn't get past the red looking meat so she just couldn't enjoy it that much. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    138* for 72 hours with a simple salt/pepper based rub. Pull, cube, and flash fry in 380* oil for about 30 seconds or so until you get a nice crust. Melty beef flavor with an awesome crunchy exterior.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What DMW said.  If they are really fatty, 147F for 24 hours.  That's the magic number where you want some rendering of fat.
    Options
    Thanks guys; this is the sort of idea I was hoping for.

@nolaegghead are you saying 147 for first 24 then drop to 138 for additional 48hrs? I would say these are on the fairly fatty side.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just 147.  Check for tenderness, keep them in longer if they need it.  Add some nitrite (celery powder if you want them more red/pink.