Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thaw/serve 7lb butt 24 hours from now

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
I have a 7lb butt I smoked a couple of months ago which I then froze.  The wife just informed me that we are supposed to serve the butt at dinner tomorrow night.  I've had no advanced warning to thaw the butt in the fridge over the last couple of days.  Any suggestions?

One thought I had was to keep the butt wrapped in foil (as it is now) and put it in a roaster in the oven at 250F or so and cook it for a number of hours until it is in internal temp of 200F.  My concern is I do something which would be unsafe from a bacterial standpoint.

If this sounds like a reasonable thought, how much time do you think I'd need to plan for.  My guess would be something like 10-12 hours but just a guess.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Darin 

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    If it is already cooked you don't need to get it back to 200. You only need to get it to serving temperature. Maybe 145-150. For future reference, I would pull it at the time you cook it and then freeze. It reheats really well from frozen already pulled.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Make sure it's sealed and thaw it in cold water in the sink. Reheat tomorrow and serve. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    try reheating in a crock pot much easier and it wont dry it out 
    Hermosa Beach CA