Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked casserole dips

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,166
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
A relatively new Egghead here (much longer Dead Head though)....Question for the culinary team..... What has been your experience and advice with baked dips on the egg? The reason I ask, I am planning to do a Chicken Enchilada Dip, and was wondering if some mesquite would penetrate the dip with added flavor. Is there any strategy (given I am going to use a cast iron casserole), like chips vs chunks...A lot or a little? Cook time is 375 for 20 min or bubbly. Perhaps go low and slow for more smoke infusion? Any thoughts or suggestions based on experience or speculation would be of value.

It's the weekend...hope you all have great cooks!
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mesquite can be a little on the strong side IMO.  I would personally go with some fruit wood like apple or cherry and maybe mix in a little hickory.  Doesn't really matter chips or chunks.  The smoke flavor is really just going to be on top of the dip.  I wouldn't over-do it I think the melting cheese soaks up the smoke pretty well.  I would just roll at 350ish.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I would do chips. You can overdo it with the smoke if not careful. 

Little Rock, AR

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    I buy chunks and use a hatchet to split it into small pieces when I need it. Better than dealing with bags of chunks AND chips. I can also maintain consistency by having similarly sized pieces. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    No pictures (wife was on my @ss about getting to party on time) but I did make the Chicken Enchilada Dip. I L&S the chicken on the grill with a little mesquite....chopped it and added some green chile to the dip (not mentioned in the recipe)....man was that thing good. It is a definite keeper!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow