Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Accessory

Options
New Accessory! For my 11 year old Medium. 
I was kind of hesitant at the price, but the dream of not stirring ashes made the Kick Ash Basket for the Medium irresistible, so I ordered it, and it arrived promptly. Seems VERY heavy duty and well made, and fits perfectly, handles could be a little bigger. Too early for a full review, but so far, looks good. 

Had to cook something, do did some freezer diving, and came up with some leftover pork steaks, ground beef, and Yucatan pulled pork, so made a Cinco de Mayo meatloaf, with some green chilis, crushed tomatoes, DP Fajitaish, Cumin, onions, carrots, masa, bread crumbs in the mixer, and an avocado in the middle. On the Medium (which got started faster with the Basket), indirect, 375ish, ’til 160ish. 

Good eats  

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I bet the loaf was great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    If you take out your fire grate you will get better airflow with just the kick ash basket in there.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    You probably don't need to use the factory fire grate with the basket. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been using my kick ash basket, minus the factory fire grate,  in my Large BGE for 2 cooks.  

On the positive:  
    Get to temp fast as a rocket and cleaning afterwards is much faster.

Still need to time the basket shake to be right  before taking a shower.
    Ash gets in my hair.   A feature only a die-hard Egger could love :-). 

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Works great with the grate, but I'll probably try it without sometime too. Seems like a really good addition, but just got it this afternoon, so I'll have to play with it for a while before I am totally convinced.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Winner, winner, meatloaf dinner! Nice on all fronts. Kudos!