Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really Dumb Here

Options
Cleaned the Large yesterday . . . Didn't check the coals.   :o

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
-Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
LBGE, MM

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mistakes are your best learning tool for next time.  I'm glad it wasn't worse.  Laugh it off and check the drawer for some duct tape! You don't even need to take the top off now to clean it out.  I like your thinking! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    How long did it rest before you took the vac to it?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Dodged a bullet.  Good lesson relearned.  Thanks for posting to remind others.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Opps ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yep I agree. Pretty dumb move. Thank god it didn't turn out worse.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • iCurevegans
    iCurevegans Posts: 19
    Options
    grege345 said:
    How long did it rest before you took the vac to it?

I let it rest for about 8 hours.  Definitely not long enough.  It's usually 24+ before I'll use the vac.  I was in spring cleaning mode.  WeberWho? said:
    Mistakes are your best learning tool for next time.  I'm glad it wasn't worse.  Laugh it off and check the drawer for some duct tape! You don't even need to take the top off now to clean it out.  I like your thinking! ;)
    I thought about the duct tape, but maybe it's time for a shiny new vac with enough HP to take the paint off the walls.   :)  I have also used it to clean up water so the duct tape may be a concern.  
    "They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    A shop van can be easily replaced. This could have been so much worse. I am sure you will never make that mistake again. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you want the BGE of shop vacs, then look at the Fein vacs.  They have a strong vacuum even with HEPA level filtration.  Plus, they are quiet enough that you can converse while they're running.  Do have a defibrillator standing by when you see the price though.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep. Shop vac user here. I ALWAYS wait to vac out until the next usage which is normally at least 24hrs later. Lessen learned at minimal casualties. Glad nobody was injured. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • iCurevegans
    Options
    If you want the BGE of shop vacs, then look at the Fein vacs.  They have a strong vacuum even with HEPA level filtration.  Plus, they are quiet enough that you can converse while they're running.  Do have a defibrillator standing by when you see the price though.
    Wow.  A little steep, but it may simply be "necessary."    
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    nevermind it says cold ash. reviews look great. lol
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That blows, or should I say sucks.  Thanks for posting this reminder.

Any other damage to the vac, or just what you posted?  I think you can cut that out and silicone / glue an new piece of plastic over the hole.  Good as new, but now with some "character".  
    Phoenix 
  • iCurevegans
    Options
    blasting said:
    That blows, or should I say sucks.  Thanks for posting this reminder.

Any other damage to the vac, or just what you posted?  I think you can cut that out and silicone / glue an new piece of plastic over the hole.  Good as new, but now with some "character".  
    Sunday night is trash night.  I kept the motor but it smelled awful.  It's ok. I "need" a new vac with better attachment capabilities for my saw and sander.  If I spend enough time at Lowe's I might find a table saw to go with it.   
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM