Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2 Extender w/ D-ring cooking grid

Options
13»

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It would be pretty awkward. It slides in from the side. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @g37 ... what is the situation where you'd want to do that?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @Jeepster47. I was just  curious. I've  never cooked raised direct. For example  if I wanted 2 reverse sear sum  steaks or if after  a lown and slow I wanted to go raised direct.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If I'm doing that I put one grid on firering then put PSWoo on top of that. 

Little Rock, AR

• g37
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist thanks  4 the advice.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @g37 ... okay.  For a reverse sear, you'd pull the entire unit, turn up the temp in the egg, grab the grill off the top of the PSWoo2 (with steaks still on it) and drop it down on the fire ring.  Or have a spider installed with a SS grill, CI grill, or CI pan to sear with.  Or, go commando and drop the steaks into the coals.  Plate setter stays in the PSWoo2.

If you do want to change over from low-n-slow to raised direct, it is easy with some insulated gloves.  The plate setter is most likely at 250 degrees ... so simple slide the plate setter out the side of the PSWoo2.  You could even tip the PSWoo2 up on it's side and slide it up and off the plate setter ... then catch the plate setter tipping it down on the table, concrete, etc..

• g37
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Thanks.  Now the hard part. How do I hide this purchase  from my girlfriend. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @g37 ... like Brad Paisley sang in one of his country songs ... "I'm going to miss her."

• g37
    Options
    Hahaha 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Ok, so if ya'll had to start over with just a PSWoo and platesetter, would you buy the extender or just suck
    it up and buy the AR. I have a spider and stone already so don't need that. I want another level but just dont know which way to go. 
    I can give you a partial answer.  I love the simplicity of the PSWoo2, plate setter, extender rack, and D-grill.  I've also added a spider and cheap Weber grill to the mix.  With those pieces, I've been able to cook every thing I've wanted to for the two of us ... plus company.

I'm probably like @grege345 in that I don't like major changes.  I bought a second large egg without a plate setter.  For that egg I bought an AR rack with all the goodies, including an extension rack ... neither the egg nor the AR pieces have been used yet ... just sitting out on the patio for about a month.   Was going to use it this morning, but ... well ... gee ... oh hell, I don't like change if it's not necessary.  And, I haven't come up with a "necessary" cook item yet.  Remember that @Ozzie_Isaac cooked six butts on his XL with only a Woo, some fire bricks and an extra Weber grill.

So, to answer your original question; yes, I'd be willing to buy the extension rack with a D-ring and be happy. 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @g37 ... okay.  For a reverse sear, you'd pull the entire unit, turn up the temp in the egg, grab the grill off the top of the PSWoo2 (with steaks still on it) and drop it down on the fire ring.  Or have a spider installed with a SS grill, CI grill, or CI pan to sear with.  Or, go commando and drop the steaks into the coals.  Plate setter stays in the PSWoo2.

If you do want to change over from low-n-slow to raised direct, it is easy with some insulated gloves.  The plate setter is most likely at 250 degrees ... so simple slide the plate setter out the side of the PSWoo2.  You could even tip the PSWoo2 up on it's side and slide it up and off the plate setter ... then catch the plate setter tipping it down on the table, concrete, etc..

You know what, @Jeepster47 ?  That is exactly how I do it and I do not find removing the PSetter to be "pretty awkward" as @BigGreenPharmacist says.

That said, BGPharm's approach is even simpler/better - no need to dismantle, plus the lower grid's already hot.  I considered doing that last summer and just plain forgot about it.

I'll probably grab an additional 18" grid next time I'm in that aisle. S'long as I remember . . .

Kudos to BGPharmacist.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Sardonicus ... My approach is to use a spider and a cheap Weber 13.5in grill down on the spider.  Want to try a BGE small CI grill, but probably should use some of the stuff I have now before buying more.  The spider and grill are installed first under the PSWoo2 assembly, so it's already really hot when you need it.  When you're that close to the lump, 30 to 90 seconds is all it takes for a good sear.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just assumed it might be awkward it the PS is hot. I could picture me trying to slide it out and touching something hot and dropping it or sliding the PS on its edge while hot and breaking a leg off. But as @sardonicus doesnt have issues I guess you have your answer. I do have the cast iron woo so I use my cast iron grid and can just use my stock grid on the fire ring. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist ... okay, that sounds backwards.  Why not put the CI on the fire ring and the stainless on the PSWoo?  Even though it would be a little loose, the OEM grid should fit the CI Woo ... yes/no?

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I guess either way works. I dont do it that much anyway. I have spider and weber sear grate I use for searing. I guess if I was gonna do it with the large grids I would put castiron on bottom. 

Little Rock, AR

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just assumed it might be awkward it the PS is hot . . .But as @sardonicus doesnt have issues I guess you have your answer. . . .

Well, not exactly.  What he has is my opinion, your opinion, and those of several other people.  His answer will be his opinion, not mine.  I'm just sharing Woo experiences as are you.

You're right, BTW, that a hot PS presents challenges.  I find long sleeved welding gloves to be invaluable.  With those gloves on, Egging is a fearless endeavor.

:)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah Ive seared a few lines across my arms more than once. Simplicity is bliss for a dumbass like me. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Options
    I guess either way works. I dont do it that much anyway. I have spider and weber sear grate I use for searing. I guess if I was gonna do it with the large grids I would put castiron on bottom. 
    @Biggreenpharmacist ... ah ha ... what diameter is the Weber Sear Grate ... please.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    About 12"?  It fits right in between the handles of my woo for my small egg. Fits great on the spider for my large. 

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8834-Gourmet-System-Grate/dp/B0044ERTDY

Little Rock, AR

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    @Sardonicus ... My approach is to use a spider and a cheap Weber 13.5in grill down on the spider.  Want to try a BGE small CI grill, but probably should use some of the stuff I have now before buying more.  The spider and grill are installed first under the PSWoo2 assembly, so it's already really hot when you need it.  When you're that close to the lump, 30 to 90 seconds is all it takes for a good sear.
    I do the same thing with my AR, spider and small BGE CI.  I just bought the BGE small CI as I plan to get a small egg sometime.  Searing that low is amazing. Best steak I've ever eaten.  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    It would be pretty awkward. It slides in from the side. 
    Seconded.  

First time I used used my PSWoo2 with a platesetter, in the "fog of the cook",  I was convinced I had been sent an incorrectly sized Woo2.    The plate setter would *not* fit on it.   Didn't realize it had to slide in sideways.