Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to you eat for dinner?

Options
13»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Now that will leave a mark.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    OK I forgot to add one leftover I like from the Egg.  I will try and make it this weekend for next week.

Egged meatloaf stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and cheese.  This did reheat very well last time I made it when the family was away and I was in the mood for it.  Would that freeze well and be nuked to reheat OK?
    i think the meatloaf would be fine especially reheated with stewed tomatoes, could also be crumbled on pizza
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    • when you don't have time to cook, assemble.  quality leftovers are great building blocks for other things, don't limit yourself to thinking leftovers have to be the same dish.  we almost always cook too much meat on purpose and freeze little pouches of it - sliced sausage, steak, chicken, meatballs, etc.  this also gets you out of the feeling like you're eating the same thing two or three nights in a row.
    • fresh veg > frozen veg > canned veg > no veg
      you can't always prep fresh, but having veg available in different forms at least gives you a better shot at eating them.  we keep a variety of frozen veg in ziploc bags in the freezer, you can grab a handful of several and add to anything - chili, pasta, stir fry, whatever
    • you would be amazed at how much more fresh veg you'll eat if you get out carrots, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and some hummus or ranch dressing when you're cooking dinner - our whole family would crush a pile of those not even thinking about it while they're waiting on their mac and cheese, or whatever.
    • lots of great salads have meat/chicken/seafood in them - the right dressing can make or break a salad, so keep a variety on hand, make your own even.  dressings you can see through are better for you.
    • sauces in jars are great - sometimes when in a hurry, I take a jar of curry sauce, heat it up with some garbanzos, maybe some meat, and some veg and in less than 15 min I have dinner.  same thing w/pasta sauce - assemble when you are in a hurry.  I can make this faster than I can drive to a McDonalds or Wendys.
    • when you do cook - make plenty, vac seal leftovers in portions and you can grab those and reheat easily
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    was mentioned that baked potatoes take to long to cook mid week. i always make extra for later, cold baked potato sliced in the morning fried with eggs, mashed potatoes can be transformed into cedar planked potatoes mid week, you could probably even make a baked tater transformed mid week into a double baked tater with chives, bacon, cheese, sour cream, thats a meal in itself.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it