Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Off Set Smoker

Options
2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Firemanyz yours looks to be constructed from 250 gal LP tank and Big Brother a 500 gal?  Nice set-up. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Hmmm.. 5Gs for the big one or 5Gs for an XXL... choices, choices, choices... 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  yes the big brother is a 500 gal. I'm pretty sure ours is like a 175-200 gal tank. They were upright tanks. We really like using the new one as it is very easy to control the temp as evident in the pic of my buddy sleeping( it had nothing to do with the fact the meat was started at 2am and I'm sure there was a large bottle of captain Morgan involved for him). Need to fire it up I. The next few weeks and cook something on it. The big brother wil be in use in about 5 weeks or so as our annual gun bash is coming up at the end of May. For this we normally cook 300-350 lbs of beef. 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I have decided on a 60" Lang off set. I'm headed over to Atlanta this weekend for a weekend getaway so I think I'm going to swing down to Nahunta and pick one up. I'm just hoping they have one! :-)
    Brandon, MS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have you looked at the pitmaker vault?  If I were in your shoes, that would be my dream.  I don't mean to mess with a man's toy plan, but I had to at least mention it.  SGH can expand on it, since he has one and is responsible for me spending hours drooling over their website and YouTube vids.   I think cazzy joined that elite club as well if I recall.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new toy!
    Phoenix 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Don't know what the Lang cost or the vault but check out peoria custom cookers. Dang sure not cheap but damn good quality being double wall. Check out the videos on there websight. And no I don't work for them or do I get anything if you were to buy one. I did a heck of alot of research before I decided on my cooker and the double wall was what sold me on there's over anything else. But living in iowa I needed that for the winter time.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have decided on a 60" Lang off set. I'm headed over to Atlanta this weekend for a weekend getaway so I think I'm going to swing down to Nahunta and pick one up. I'm just hoping they have one! :-)
    This is a great example of why this place is detrimental to your wallet.  From $500 to $3000 in just a few posts! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Call first because they don't have them "in stock" They make them to order and the current wait can be up to 6 weeks.
    BTW: I have both an XL Egg and a 36 Lang. Each has it's own place for cooking. The egg is a "set it and forget it" thing and the Lang is more of a social thing for the guys to gather 'round the fire and BS. The Lang will also give more of a smoke flavor unless you really load the egg with wood.
    It's all about your personal likes and dislikes.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I too have been looking for a new challenge in addition to the Egg. I have considered a backyard smoker pit like some of the cinder block pits I have seen videos of. My thinking is driven by the idea of doing a whole hog. Anyone have any experience with those or a reason why that is a bad idea?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Egghead_Daron‌ I see nothing wrong with your idea only 2 drawbacks. 

1. Resale. Next buyer might not want something like that in there yard.

2. Not portable. I have done whole hogs and most times at a park or something so everyone likes to see the sucker still being cooked. Yeah kinda sick that they want to meet there dinner

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Damn that Aaron Franklin book.....he had me cooking on a stick burner in my dream last night...my brisket looked so good until it flew in the air and tore apart.   

However, I think because of this book he's become my spirit animal.  that's 2 nights in a row I've dreamed of cooking
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, after reading how much Aaron hated "cooking on a Lang", he was very nice!  I like how the interviewer believed the Lang did some kind of magic for Adam and Aaron.

https://youtu.be/DIvfdzXdXDI
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's too funny. I just read that chapter last night. I was completely sold on building a reverse flow till this book. I might start researching how exactly he makes his. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Damn. For sale meat monster so I can buy a Lang and cook just as good as adam.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Don't know what the Lang cost or the vault but check out peoria custom cookers. Dang sure not cheap but damn good quality being double wall. Check out the videos on there websight. And no I don't work for them or do I get anything if you were to buy one. I did a heck of alot of research before I decided on my cooker and the double wall was what sold me on there's over anything else. But living in iowa I needed that for the winter time.
    Damn fine smokers, looked into one when first bit.  Didn't they move to Pekin?  If burning sticks, I think I would look into a Forno Bravo now over a BBQ.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• badinfluence
    Options
    @ Focker yes they are in pekin. Pretty much the same thing. If you didn't know about them they are hard to find. Only found them when I picked mine up. Took 10 weeks to get but don't regret it one bit.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Damn. For sale meat monster so I can buy a Lang and cook just as good as adam.
    2Gs cash?  I can pick it up today.   hahaha
    Hell, I'd even throw in an autographed copy of his new book. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• badinfluence
    Options
    I hear ya. Lol

Clinton, Iowa