Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 LB Pork Shoulder on Medium BGE?

Options
Shant
Shant Posts: 15
So I'm wondering if I can run an 8 lbs pork shoulder for about 16 - 18 on a medium? 

Also, should I wrap it at a certain point in foil or there is no point if I have the time? 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome. 

Shouldn't a problem as long as you fill it up with lump. Common mistake is only fill to top of the fire box. Fill it to the top of the fire ring. 

If if you have plenty of time, no need to wrap. If you start running short, bump the temp up. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I bet you get done in the 11-12 hr timeline. I've done a 10lber on my MBGE. Thoroughly clean it then load it. I never wrapped mine. The bark was great!
  • Shant
    Options
    Welcome. 

Shouldn't a problem as long as you fill it up with lump. Common mistake is only fill to top of the fire box. Fill it to the top of the fire ring. 

If if you have plenty of time, no need to wrap. If you start running short, bump the temp up. 
    I bet you get done in the 11-12 hr timeline. I've done a 10lber on my MBGE. Thoroughly clean it then load it. I never wrapped mine. The bark was great!

Sounds Great! One more question! I have a electric starter where I put the prong in and it starts up the lump coal. I stuck that in the center and let it burn for about 5-10 minutes and there was a fire going. Is that enough for it to burn outwards or should i start the fire from other sides as well? 
  • Shant
    Options
    What temperature did you cook it at? That sounds so fast! 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just start as normal, in the middle one place. Catch the temp on the way up.