Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Coal Storage

13»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232

The day I start sorting lump is the day I go back to the kettle and Kingsford. Or buy a gasser. I manage quite well by just dumping whatever comes out of the bag. Charcoal is a big enough PITA without making it worse. For no reason.
    I'm with you. Lump is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.  

It's what makes cooking on the Egg art to the ceramic science. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    fljoemon said:
    tamu2009 said:
    Maybe I'm anal, but I've started sorting my bags when I open them into Large, Medium, and Small pieces that live in 5 gallon buckets. I find I build more consistent fires that way. 
    Wowzer .. I do the exact same thing .. Three 5 gallon white buckets with lids  from Home Depot and sorted out according to the lump size. I saw someone mention this on a BGE Tips & Tricks video on YouTube and I've been doing that ever since :-)
    Same here. 2 kingsford containers of the small and medium.  The large go into a big clear tote for Low & Slow.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.