Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Dry Age Experiment

Options
MelSharples
MelSharples Posts: 260
First off, I realize that talking about dry aging on this forum is like asking someone their opinion on religion or politics. Having said that I just completed my first attempt at home dry aging and I couldn't be happier with the results.

The Set Up:
1 used dorm fridge, thoroughly cleaned ($22)
1 desk fan (had one already)
1 Lerway temperature controller ($16)
1 wireless temperature and humidity sensor (had one already)
1 meat hook ($6)
1 16lb 109E Bone in Ribeye - Angus No Roll, wet aged for at least 21 days

I wired the fridge to the temp controller and set the temp at 40*F. Mounted the fan at the bottom back and aimed it at the ribeye to promote air circulation. Using the meat hook I hung the ribeye in the center of the fridge, making sure the meat was hanging freely. Shortly after the first 2 or 3 days I noticed that the cooling element was dripping water onto the meat so I rigged a drip pan to divert the water away. Then I simply let it ride for 21 days.

I realize that it could have gone longer, and most would recommend doing so.  The reason I stopped at 21 days was this was my first time and I wanted to start conservatively.

Results:
The meat had a strong beefy, nutty aroma, exactly what I was hoping for.  I did trim it aggressively (see opening statement above) which I will experiment with on the next go around.  I did a reverse sear pulling it at an IT of 115, then searing at 600 for 1+ minute per side (I like a char on the outside). The beef was amazing, tender and with a richness of flavor I have not experienced before (words cannot describe what the fat transformed into), a true success in my book.

For a $44 investment I am extremely happy with the results. It is something I would strongly recommend trying, either using the method I described above or using the UMAi bags.

My apologies for not inserting the photos directly in the post, it always distorts the image size.
LBGE 2015 - Atlanta

Comments

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I admire the experiment. 

Would be wary of hanging it. A whole carcass, sure. But a subpimal will stretch if you hang it and that can open up the seams between the muscles and fat. This sometimes happens anyway if the environment is too dry, so i wouldnt want to do anything to encourage it. 

And sure, i'll take the bait re trimming. I'm a logical guy. I figure if it historically hasn't been trimmed, there's a reason. 

Most folks trim because of the look. Especially if they havent ever eaten it. It provides some mental comfort to return the chunk of meat back to something everyone is more comfortable with. Witness the numerous references to "the wife" in these 'debates'. She doesnt like the look, so there you go. Shrug

i'd suggest to anyone. Trim it. But trim it AFTER you cook it. At least give it a shot. Still don't like it, trim it then. After at least trying it. 

I bet you wont bother trimming again. Increases yield, more flavor, better crust. But hey. Sometimes people just want to put a toe in rather than really experience it. 

Glad you liked it. That sear is classic dry aged sear. You don't have to boil off the extra water to sear. It begins browning the instant it hits the grill. You want real fun, grill a fresh steak side by side with it next time

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Could you explain some of the basics for us newbies please? Why the temp controller and fan ? Couldn't you just adjust the fridge to 40f?
  • st¡ke
    edited April 2015
    Options
    40 degrees is high, FWIW. 
    Faster enzyme action, but in a dorm fridge, flirting with disaster. 

Ideally you'd wann be mid 30s or lower. meat won't freeze even if you had it at 30 degrees, but of course anything else would. 36-38 is bueno
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Chowman said:
    Could you explain some of the basics for us newbies please? Why the temp controller and fan ? Couldn't you just adjust the fridge to 40f?

A dorm fridge (or most fridges really) does not regulate temp on a precise basis, they fluctuate greatly between cooling cycles. They also do not have an internal fan to keep the air circulating which is integral in dry aging. You're trying to create as ideal an environment as possible, as well as a safe one. Commercial dry aging rooms are kept at x temp, x humidity, with uv lights to control bacteria growth, and fans constantly circulating the air. Opinions vary widely on all aspects, with some flat out saying that dry aging at home is a terrible idea. The method I used was based off of reading articles on line (Serious Eats to start) as well as the numerous discussions on the subject here.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • MelSharples
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    40 degrees is high, FWIW. 
    Faster enzyme action, but in a dorm fridge, flirting with disaster. 

Ideally you'd wann be mid 30s or lower. meat won't freeze even if you had it at 30 degrees, but of course anything else would. 36-38 is bueno

I plan on lowering the temp to that range on the next attempt.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    They also do not have an internal fan to keep the air circulating which is integral in dry aging. 

It's not just an air circulation issue with a dorm refrigerator its the removal of the moisture extracted during the aging process. Merely blowing air around isn't enough, that is why a normal refrigerator is better.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • st¡ke
    Options
    @RRP. exactly. A full size fridge is a glorified dehydrator in some respects. You want that in order to 'dry' age. 

And although peeps may think i am a bag basher, one of the interesting things a out the bag is it slows initial drying, as opposed to going commando which dries initially very quickly. They even out the longer you go. But for some folks who don't want to go too dry too soon, the bags can slow that.

but you need some drying

and to clarify something @melsharples mentioned....  Humidity controls and bacterial lighting are more about quality than safety. Nothing's going to become deadly in a proper fridge. You might get mold, but that's how it always was, and that stuff cleans off it's not dangerous. 

Proper temps, and some drying as RRP emphasized, is your BEST bet for safety and quality optimization. The sooner then surface dries, the better. ...which is a plus for the commando side in some opinions. 

Each has advantages. But people need to understand what's happening and why. Otherwise you are just guessing. I don't understand guessing, FWIW.