Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket and post

Options
Ducci015
Ducci015 Posts: 3
Hi Guys, I recently got a LBGE, jumped on this forum and read a bunch of posts about briskets and dove straight in.  I went and got two 3 lb briskets (all I could find in my small town, not much marbling at all unfortunately).  I seasoned with salt, pepper, and a BBQ rub.  Left them in the fridge for 12 hours and pulled them out.  Got the egg going and added mesquite chips.  Smoked the briskets for 6 hours, at which point I pulled one off, cooled it and am currently cooking in sous vide at 149degrees for 72 hours.  The other I left on for a total of 12 hours, Internal temp read 190 so I pulled it off.  I never experienced the "butter probe" like many have talked about.  I FTC it for 2 hours at this point, and when i pulled it out, it sucked.  It was very dry but not crumbly.  There was a small smoke ring, and the flavor was right, but it was SO dry.  Too dry to eat.  So I chunked a bunch of it up and simmered in BBQ sauce for about hour and made a BBQ pizza that was great, the meat was tenderized by the simmering and had a lot more flavor.  I took the rest of the brisket, put into a 250 degree oven half covered by beer and braised for 4 hours, and this also tenderized it, but gave me more of a "pulled brisket" kind of end product, not what we're looking for. Long story short, I made a lot of mistakes.  Heres a list:

I was having a very hard time keeping the temperature below 250, any recommendations for this?

About 5-6 hours in the smoke stopped coming out of the top and the only way to get it to start back up was to give it more oxygen, which pushed temps up to 275-300ish.  I think this is probably too high, right?  

What else could I have done during the smoking process to help yield a tender juicy end product?

I will update with how the sous vide turns out on saturday night, Im hoping for a better result but we will see.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!  Next time I will make sure to take pictures 

Comments