Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birmingham BBQ -Where's the best?

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
Headed over to Birmingham this morning for work. Where's the best BBQ in town? I want to check it out at lunch. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @DoubleEgger .. I was there 3 years ago and was recommended Saw's BBQ. It is in Homewood which is a suburb of Birmingham. The pulled pork was amazing. Try the vinegar BBQ sauce ... man I want to be there right now.

Saw's BBQ
    Address: 1008 Oxmoor Rd, Birmingham, AL 35209
    Phone:(205) 879-1937
    Hours:Open today · 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I travel to Birmingham a lot for work. One of my clients over there is a BBQ snob. He takes me to Golden Rule, and it is very good. I think they are franchised now  but the original one in Irondale, AL is where we go. I think it's actually in a different building now, but it's considered the original one. Just for kicks last time we went to Dreamland and had ribs...one word, OVER-RATED. Stick to Golden Rule IMHO. Travel safe.

Golden Rule BBQ
    2506 Crestwood Blvd
    Birmingham, AL 35210 (Irondale)

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I grew up around Birmingham and have eaten everywhere. If you want good BBQ, go to Saws. There are three locations; the one in Homewood has the more traditional menu (I.e. Ribs). The other two locations have more trendy menus, but all are outstanding. Golden rule is crap, full moon is kind of ok, dreamland has good sauce, but their ribs are underdone. Go to Saws...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I'd be sure and skip Dreamland too. I agree with @ksmyrl that it is way overrated! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Did I mention that Johnny Rays is ok at best, and I'm not terribly impressed by Miss Myra's. Go to Saws...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Had saw's at an interview dinner and about embarrassed myself with the quantities of pulled pork and their mustard vinegar.....And beer
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Saw's is the bomb!!  Golden Rule, Jim'n Nicks, Full Moon are all good. 

Golden Rule actually has a really good cheeseburger.  I used to work about a mile from the one in Irondale, and ate there alot.  I'm not sure which one is the original, as about half of the locations say "The Original" on the sign.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to Saw's. Johnny Rays is near our office but it isn't very good. I'm not a fan of Dreamland and Jim Nicks either as they have those in Atlanta. I appreciate the advice EggerNation! 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    We expect a full report later!! Woooooooooo!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DoubleEgger
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well Saw's in Homewood was some good Q. Small place, older decor... Just like a Q place should be. I had the pulled pork plate with Mac and Cheese and Black Eyed Peas. When your BBQ plate comes with white bread as standard, you know it's gonna be good.  The lady behind the counter said I made a good choice and to expect the "itis" this afternoon I asked her what she was talking about. She said that's a lot of good food. You're not going to want to do anything this afternoon. LOL. The pulled pork was tasty, not over seasoned and had a good vinegar based sauce. It wasn't a NC style sauce. Unique and tasty. The sides were good with the mac and cheese being better than most. The two guys I was with both had a pulled chicken sandwich with the white sauce. Both said it was some of the better white sauce they've had. Tried to buy a couple bottles but they don't sell it. Whoever I pull in the Rub/Sauce exchange in SOL but at least I was thinking about you!  Will be back. Overall ranking - 4 green eggs out of 5. 
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    FYI i beleive the original Dreamland is in Tuscaloosa , old hole in the wall , was much better than the one at 5 points Birmingham 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    @doubleegger next time you visit, try one of the other the other locations. I highly recommend the pork n greens, or they usually have good daily specials. Glad you left happy! 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be in Birmingham in a couple of weeks and will return to Saws. Went there a few years ago but couldn't remember the name. Can't wait!
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Saw's.  Period.  End of discussion.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'll be back. Wasn't too far from our branch office in Pelham either.