Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can chicken

Options
First post, first beer can chicken. Best way to cook it?

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Welcome.  search the forum for spatchcock chicken.  Its the best way to cook a whole bird.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Season inside and out with your favorite rub, and cook indirect at around 350-400.  Cook to temp, but I usually leave myself 90 minutes for beer can chicken.   Drink half the beer before putting the bird on. I prefer spatchcock but my wife still says beer can tastes better so... guess which I make.  
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Also, worth reading this essay about beer can chicken:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2015
    Options

Inverted comes out amazingly well. Indirect breast down cooks the breast down so the heat is lower. All the fat from the back end bastes the white meat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm doing my FIRST one right this minute.   I'm holding around 350f dome temp while the grill level TC is about 180c, which is too close to call.

I tossed on a handfull of soaked applewood to get things going,  the wife seasoned with some store-bought rub.   

It's gonna be FINE.  

New silicon gloves.  Tried the Weber lighting cubes in 2 places on my XL and have NOT had to mess with the vent / daisy wheel since initial setup.  

I'm learning!