Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd brisket

Options
got it on there this morning holding steady around 200. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  I will offer the following (to do with as you wish) with 200*F on a calibrated (key word) dome thermo you may never get finished.  In general with BGE indirect cooks the dome thermo starts out hotter than the actual cooking grid temp.  Off-set can be 10-40*F.  So given most briskets yield to the "feel" (the true finish-line indicator for that hunk of beef) at around 190-205*F you can see the challenge.  So, I would suggest you run in the 250-270*F on the dome and go from there.  Not knowing your time zone (figuring somewhere in the lower 48) but looking at your brisket, you will be finishing quite late in the day.  All above an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the eats when done.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jmayhew
    Jmayhew Posts: 6
    Options
    yeah thanks im reading from the digital thermometer by the dome one. and i did decide to get it up around 250 planing it being done around 8. unfortunately i haven't quite figured how to get kids out of the way in order to start the few hours earlier that i wanted too. about 3.5 hours in reading 140 for the meat. was a smaller brisket around 5.5lbs
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Gotta admit it looks bigger than 5.5 lbs.  And looks like some point as well as the flat.  Regardless, Running at 250*F on your thermo will likely take at closer to around 1.75-2 hrs/ lb to get finished.  You will hit the stall somewhere around 160*F +/- and it can last for several hours to power thru.  If getting short for time, you can foil the brisket and then dial it up to around 300*F to get there.   And whatever you do, go by feel for the finish and don't slice til ready to eat as it will dry out before your eyes.
    Here are some great links to check out if you have time:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jmayhew
    Options
    ha yeah its deceiving. thanks for the tips ill post a pic when its done. hanging around 174 now smells great. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Guessing that you will finish the cook beyond your target eat-time, just make sure the the thickest part of the flat probes like butter (that is the finish-line marker for a brisket regardless of the cut) and then let it rest on the counter for at least 30-45 mins. (No more than a foil tent for covering if planning to get after it) before slicing. And then inhale and enjoy!!
  • Jmayhew
    Options
    Thanks yeah I fugures the same thing target time was a rough estimate anyway. 
  • Jmayhew
    Options
    Missed my estimated finish time by a half hour but turned out great. Even managed to have some greens with our meat this time 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nailed it.  Home-run right there.  Congrats on the cook.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nailed it man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Yep great job !
    Gambrills,Maryland