Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rules for cooking pastrami that will flip your skirt...

Options
After searching and reading up on all the great pastrami cooks I have come to the conclusion that there aren't any rules.  A:   Some soak the corn beef, some go directly to the egg, and me, I did a low 5 hours in the crockpot.  B:   All went to the egg seasoned.  Some cooked to 190-200.  I cooked to 160, raised indirect at 225.  C:   Some cook in a pressure cooker to finish.  All declared theirs a winner.  MDSH thought the one I cooked last night was the best.  Just goes to show that there is more than one way to rock a pastrami!  Our skirt was flipped our way.... :) 
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It sounds good. You know we want pics! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No time for pics yesterday.   This was just my observation of all the reading and how people got to the best pastrami they ever had!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    +1 for Pressure Cooker finish.  Did it this way yesterday (after smoking at 225 to 150 internal) and was the best ever!!!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i mix it up, thin cut gets a light smoke to 170, hand cut gets a light smoke to 170 and 20 minutes in a pressure cooker, corned beef gets a low simmer stove top til the probe slips easily in. grey pastrami gets no soak, red pastrami gets a 24 hour soak, corned beef gets no soak. something new for me, red pastrami points for smoking get soaked in garlic and pepper infused water =) anyways corned beef usually goes on sale in a week or two, a good time to stock up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it