Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emeril's BAM Original Essence

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
Never tried this before and wondering if anyone has used this as a rub. Been egging for a couple of years but never done a butt. Saturday will be my first and looking for suggestions on rubs.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    I've used Emeril's Essence on dishes cooked on the cooktop.  Chicken Marsala, Spaghetti and Meatballs.  A little goes a long way.  I really don't think it is suitable as a rub.  It seems like it kicks up the spice level.  Hence the BAM.  I'd recommend BBQ rubs. 
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Never tried it as a rub for long cooks like briskets and pork butts but I have used it on hamburgers and chicken.  I think it's great in that regard.  I'd be interested in hearing how it goes on  butt.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I also use the Essence for some general seasoning - mostly on chicken and maybe some grilled shrimp.  I'm not sure it would make for a good butt rub either.  
    I agree with @nealmgb that a little goes a long way with the Essence whereas you are getting amore subtle flavor with a true rub.  

Maybe mix in a little with some good rub?  I dunno.  I'm just a newb.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this is from elder wards pulled pork recipe off the naked whiz site, rub and both sauces are great with pulled pork

Part II - Rubs and Sauces
    Here is where we will fight the civil war of flavors till the dawn of eternity and never agree on the out come.  So here is my take on the real mystery of the smoke.  My uncle was a restaurant owner and never added his sauce till just before you ate the pig.  His was damned good pull if I do say so myself but he never thought enough of me to share his secrets.  He did mop the main guest while cooking him to keep him moist.  Since we do not have that problem with our tools I have varied my personal method two ways.  This might seem like a lot of trouble but, if you have never tried it please make both finishing sauces the first time and eat a little of both.  You may be like me and love them equally, like children, one better some days, the other another day, but you still love 'em.

You don't see mustard used in North Carolina like you do in South Carolina and, as that is JJ's and Mrs. Appledog's bailiwick, I defer that honor to them. (never used the mustard trick till I came here but that is another method, not mine.)

The Rub
    • 2 Tbs. kosher salt (NEVER use iodized salt, it ruins stuff)
    • 2 Tbs. sugar (I prefer Hawaii raw when I can get it.)
    • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. ground cumin seed
    • 2 Tbs. chili powder (pure not with garlic etc. added)
    • 2 Tbs. cracked black pepper
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (there is no substitute)
    • 4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika
    • 2 Tbs. ground sage (my secret ingredient)
    Makes 1 cup

Blend all.  This you will use to cover the raw pork (we started out cooking the red coats in this country a couple of three hundred years ago and we still carry on the tradition today).  Some say to leave it on and wrap it up for hours and/or days in fridge.  Personally I have tried that but can not tell the difference when it has been on only 1 hour.  So hay, if you're into waiting, God bless you.

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

Western North Carolina (Piedmont) style sauce (B)

• 1 C ketchup (Hot type)
    • 1 C water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated) yuck:~(
    • ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    • 1 onion chopped fine
    • 3 cloves crushed garlic or 1 clove elephant garlic from Gilroy, CA
    • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. molasses (How can y'all have Mo lasses if you ain't had lasses da furst time?)
    • 2 Tbs. dry mustard (Coleman's English double fine is good)
    • 1 tsp.. cayenne or one fresh cut into ringlets seeds and all.
    Simmer for twenty minutes over low heat.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Google "Dr. BBQ's Sweet Rub". I use it all the time on butts. Love it.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • eggo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. No Emeril's, or just a little with some Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous rub. I've used this on some tenderloin and it was very good. Good on ribs also.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I actually used to use Emeril's essense to make a rub and it was really good. I just mixed it around 50/50 with turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw).  Brown sugar would work as well but the raw stuff mixes easier and doesn't clump.  If I recall correctly I also mixed in a little mustard powder and garlic powder to taste.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggo
    Options
    Thanks SmokeyPitt, I'll consider trying that recipe.  I'll also post pics of the results if I can figure out how.
    Eggo in N. MS