Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcook drip pan? Direct become indirect?

Options
Hi,

It seems like most people do direct for spatchcook on a raised grate.  Searching through past posts some people suggest using a drip pan to catch drippings to avoid bad smells and tastes.  I have the 14" and 16" stainless drip pans from ceramic grill store.  If you put a drip pan on that size it takes up almost all (the 16") or most (the 14") of the room in the large egg.  My question is, with a drip pan this big won't it impede airflow to the point a direct cook has now become indirect?  And, do you use a drip pan with a raised grid assuming you cut a few chunks of fat off first?

Sorry if this is a simple question I just assumed direct means the fire/smoke heat hits to food without something (place setter, etc) in the way, so I'm not sure how a big drip pan fits into the equation.

Thank you!

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I do raised direct no drip pan. No issues yet going with no drip pan.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I think the people that have issues with bad smells aren't cooking the bird at high enough temperatures. If the coals are hot enough the smell from the grease will be very little because it burns up so quick.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you put a drip pan under a direct with no stone, you'd have a burnt smelly mess from your drippings and yes it would become indirect. If you use a drip pan, you need a stone or something under t and an air gap in between to keep your drippings from giving you funky smoke. Raised direct is easy and flare ups generally don't reach the protein. 
  • ReignInBBQ
    Options
    Awesome.  Thanks.  Hope to be cooking tomorrow.