Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad idea?

Options
I built this table and storage compartment with the goal of a concealed storage area for my lump but after looking at it - seems like maybe a bad idea or fire hazard. Thoughts?

Victoria, MN

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I would think if it was hot enough to combust the wood would be burning first. I'd worry more about water. Wet lump no bueno. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 I would be more concerned with wet lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    good call. However doors will be applied soon. And the top is sealed. 
    Victoria, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah I think I would be inclined to store it elsewhere for the increased fire risk and to keep it drier.  You could just get a deck box  and place it further from the egg.

You could still use that area for storage of other accessories, grids, cookware, etc.  Maybe add a shelf.    

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Nice table!  I see you are accommodating both left and right handers who want to open a beverage :lol:   For me, the lump would be in the garage, and my eggcessories would be in the storage space.  My guess is you will still get some moisture even with the sealed top. I can see the back is not a tight seal - do you get blown rain?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hmm, you put a raging hot grill in a flammable table and placed it on a flammable deck attached to a flammable house and you are worried about a bag of lump getting too hot? The lump is no more worrisome than anything else in that pic. 

That looks like a nice table, but I'm just not a fan. Of tables that enclose eggs or (especially) of grilling on attached wooden decks. If you want a wooden table, fine. Just move it somewhere that won't be destroyed if the table catches fire. 

You might find these posts informative (or frightening anyway)...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/421447/need-house-fire-prevention-help/p1

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166805/pyrophoric-charring-alternate-title-why-did-my-house-burn-down/p1

Also, BTW, I have read that there is a potential carbon monoxide risk with a grill being that close to a window. And possibly a door just off camera?

Nice table... Be safe with it, my friend!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Love the table should look even better with the doors.

Maybe BGE could extend the legs on the table nest for more air flow under the egg. Some people suggest no paver under the table nest so you can keep an eye on the wood. 

I have never seen this yet but maybe the bottom shelf could be cut out a little smaller then the table nest that way there's no wood below the egg to catch fire.