Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head Country Rub??

So I ordered HC rub and have to say I was surprised by 2 ingredients: MSG and natural smoke flavor. Conventional wisdom says avoid MSG and use natural smoke smoke rather than natural smoke flavor. 

Any by thoughts or experience on this from the collective wisdom of the forum?
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I have no idea if it's good for you or not but it makes an extraordinary flavor on my pork butt. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    If it is a concern specifically on the MSG, I believe they have a non-MSG option.

http://www.headcountry.com/content/no-msg-single-30-oz-shaker-bottle

As as far as the natural smoke flavor, I dont see it imparting much if anything onto the meat. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've used it on a few dishes and was pleased with the flavor profile. Are you allergic to MSG or have adverse reactions to it?   My guess is to which the miniscule quantity you would get would not cause issues that is unless this is something your allergic to. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Not allergic . . . it's just been drummed into me that MSG is something to be avoided.  I know it's naturally occurring in some plants, and I don't really have any sensitivities or allergies to anything I can ingest.  The last thing I need, though, is someone with an issue (real or imagined) having problems (real or imagined) as a result of my using a rub with MSG.

[I've now been on the HC website and it looks like they offer a NO MSG version, but I didn't see it when I ordered last week from Firecraft.  The label on the Firecraft site matches the NO MSG version on the HC site, but what they sent me is the MSG version.  Way too much investigation for a $3.50 bottle of rub.]

Also, on the natural smoke flavor, any idea what that is?  Liquid smoke in dried form?  I used a McCormack's "smokey" bourbon rub once and both flavor profiles (smokey and bourbon) tasted off to me.  Why use a smoke-flavored rub if you're going to select a specified wood to use in the egg?  Am I missing something here?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    I too typically avoid MSG but, that being said I have little to nothing that has it added so this rub doesn't concern me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 26,000
    I'll be blunt - MSG gives me the trots, but I have used this rub on pork butts and have never had a problem!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Yep that's pretty blunt Ron. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    edited March 2015
    HendersonTRKing no worries - MSG is not bad for you - that myth is dead.  

My sister is food science major (currently at UC Davis for Grad School) and has said it is safe for years.  Unfortunatly, she tells me about real concerns (eating char from "seared" meats) but the MSG thing was never based on facts, but the public ran with it.  Google it, or here is an old link:  http://www.businessinsider.com/is-msg-sodium-in-chinese-food-safe-to-eat-2014-8

I just got a shaker of Head Country too from firecraft . . . have not opened it yet.  Shake Away.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Been using it for years but I buy their version that has no MSG. A lot of the commercial rubs have MSG, Never had any complaints. Their sauce is great as well. Cook away!!