Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Stain and Sealer

Options
All - need some help! I have a brand new rough sawn cedar table and would like to add some color and protection from the sun and water. I'm looking at Sherwin Williams Semi Transparent Woodscape stain, Behr Premium All in One Stain Sealer... Both of these are water based. I also heard some recommendations onGeneral Finishes Oil. What's the best? Oil or water based? I heard oil is better protection from water but fades more in the sun than water based. Sherwin Williams claims that their water based product is the best available. 

Please help... Need your expert opinions. 

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I prefer the clear sealants versus a stain, but just because I like the natural look of the cedar.  I've used Olympic Wood Protector clear sealant from Lowe's and it has worked well.  I'm sure the ones you mention will work just as well too.  Might need to reapply every so often, especially to the top of the table if it's sitting outside. 

Sounds like a nice table too.....congrats and would love to see pics. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Jmorabito25
    Options
    Thanks Kenny. Those are my thoughts too. Here's the pic of the table. I don't have the bottom shelf in yet and a piece of granite will go on top once I have the stain applied. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Looks great!  Good luck with the rest of the process.  I have a partial granite top on mine too and love it, but not near as finished out as yours.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Jmorabito25
    Options
    Any use Sherwin Williams water based woodscapes?