Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Eoin said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Just finished watching the Liverpool and City match.  What a great start to a Sunday!!
    Too far ahead though (unless you are City fan).
    The Invincibles remain a team apart.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Watching a behind the scenes with Mike Colameco on il Buco in NY.  Mamma Mia.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Trying to not burn this pork butt as I crank up the temps to try to eat the durn thing. The 9lb-er has been on for 10 hours at 300. Cranked to 350 for the finish. Still getting some resistance in the middle. 

So hard to be patient when you are hungry.

A piece fell off as I was probing so gave that to the kid so he could eat it before bed time.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Focker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Watching Pandaloon on the Shark Tank, Chihuahua costumes!  Two sharks are fighting over them. LOL
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Acn said:
    Eoin said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Just finished watching the Liverpool and City match.  What a great start to a Sunday!!
    Too far ahead though (unless you are City fan).
    The Invincibles remain a team apart.
    Agreed. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Wondering way my lazy neighbor can't spend an extra few minutes to completely clear his windshield of snow.  Nope, just a hole a little over a foot in diameter on the driver's side.  Granted only around 2 " of snow but with a thin layer of ice that will make the wipers worthless for while.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Wondering way my lazy neighbor can't spend an extra few minutes to completely clear his windshield of snow.  Nope, just a hole a little over a foot in diameter on the driver's side.  Granted only around 2 " of snow but with a thin layer of ice that will make the wipers worthless for while.  
    We don't have that issue here, but I saw the same thing many times in Nebraska.  That doesn't seem like such a great idea to have limited line of sight and visibility on snowy and icy roads.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tested the KAB divider (thanks @possumtrot) on some rotisserie chicken last evening.    Worked GREAT!!!  (Photographic skills in 20 degree weather needs some work!)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @The_Stache did you notice any flare ups or issues with the fat? How did the lump and temp fare? I still haven’t tried it without a drip pan in it. 

That reminds me @Possumtrot today when my Egg thaws and I can open it I will pull that divider out and swing it by next time I am headed into town. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @The_Stache did you notice any flare ups or issues with the fat? How did the lump and temp fare? I still haven’t tried it without a drip pan in it. 

That reminds me @Possumtrot today when my Egg thaws and I can open it I will pull that divider out and swing it by next time I am headed into town. 
    For you fine folks in Tennessee......https://youtu.be/t7oNS-bDZqc
     You guys stay warm up thar....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit  Remember, it's on permanent loan to the Adam and Rick  School of Egg Stuff.  We'll be moving in a while (if Sandy can make up her mind) and it'd be a terrible burden on us to pack and move it.  :s
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited January 2018
    Options

No issues with flare ups or fat.  The drips were generally right on the divider or the lump, similar to using all lump.  The cook did take longer.  Generally, rotisserie chicken on the raise grate @375 takes less than an hour.  With the divider, the time was more like 1.5 hours with temps between 350 and 390.  Regulating temp is a bit of a learning curve.

Skin was crispy good!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Focker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Boone Docks Restaurant out in Joy, IL, a hidden gem recommended by my boy.

Sliced prime rib, shrooms, ernyins, hash browns, swiss.  Will be fun replicating this on the blackstone.

His burger was solid for 6 bucks.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    If you have a local Sam's Club that's going out of business everything is 25% off. I found 2 pack enamel dutch ovens normally  $60 on sale for $50 than an additional  $12.50 off. Not a bad deal for $37.50

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    About to get off my butt and go make ABTs.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    If you have a local Sam's Club that's going out of business everything is 25% off. I found 2 pack enamel dutch ovens normally  $60 on sale for $50 than an additional  $12.50 off. Not a bad deal for $37.50

Costco has a similar pair on sale that look like a great deal.  I would be careful using those, Focker said he wouldn’t trust his food to Tramontina, but hasn’t said why. 

@Focker what’s the concern with Tramontina?  I’m assuming you’re familiar with the subject?
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Focker said:
    Boone Docks Restaurant out in Joy, IL, a hidden gem recommended by my boy.

Sliced prime rib, shrooms, ernyins, hash browns, swiss.  Will be fun replicating this on the blackstone.

His burger was solid for 6 bucks.

Bacon and egg on a burger,yum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Legume said:
    WeberWho said:

Costco has a similar pair on sale that look like a great deal.  I would be careful using those, Focker said he wouldn’t trust his food to Tramontina, but hasn’t said why. 

@Focker what’s the concern with Tramontina?  I’m assuming you’re familiar with the subject?
    I did check reviews before purchasing. It had 497 reviews with a rating 4.7 stars. I figured it was worth $37. I'd be a little more careful if I was buying a $300 Le Creuset dutch oven. For $37 I threw it in the cart. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Legume said:
    WeberWho said:

It's in line with Mario Batali, Rachel Ray, Paula Dean etc etc lines. 

LC, Lodge, Staub, all use third party testing for things like cadmium and lead.  Even the ore itself, could be suspect.  

My mom had a hammered Paula Dean DO that was recalled due to inferior materials.  Apparently they would crack and implode, causing injury.

Even the high end brands like LC and Staub, sell lower end made in China lines.

I stick with one Lodge 6qt, and LC for the enamel DOs and bakers.  The Lodge is also made in China, but gets the third party testing.  Peace of mind I guess.

Griswold, Wagner, BSR, others, all offered ECI lines, they failed at standing up to the test of time.  You do not see them.  I have 1960s LC pieces that are in great shape.  I have sniped pieces on fleabay for bargains, and see even older LC on there regularly, as they have stood up.

The French have mastered this manufacturing technique, but you'll pay for it.  After using them, I believe, it is worth it.
    https://youtu.be/WVCXuQGh_Ms
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just put a steak on the egg.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    This site has great info. My old one was made in Denmark, copco
    http://www.castironcollector.com/enameled.php
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just put a steak on the egg.

You call that a steak?  That looks more like a side of beef!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lousubcap Great! I’m glad I was able to offer usedul advice. The paella looks delicious. I love the complex flavor the rice has as well as the defined flavors of the individual ingredients. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Decided to elevate my paella rice component with a load of Bomba rice delivered by my wayward son visiting over Xmas from Barcelona.

It does absorb the liquid as the recipe calls for a four-to-one liquid to rice ratio.  No skill in the food picture placement and as always a top-quality (not) pic as the moisture is evaporating.   No worries, thanks to @SciAggie and his fork tines process.  Works every time to nail the soccarat.  
    Awesome cook Cap!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Packing a bag for a trip over to @northGAcock's stead.  A little KY roundball tomorrow night.  On the way, a visit with @Jeremiah for lunch and a Blackstone.  Good times.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Packing a bag for a trip over to @northGAcock's stead.  A little KY roundball tomorrow night.  On the way, a visit with @Jeremiah for lunch and a Blackstone.  Good times.
    Go Cocks!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Been at the hospital all day.  My Mom had another small stroke.  Everythings good but I always feel after a day sitting at the hospital like I have cooties.  I showered for 15 mins or more.  On the up side I did ribeye steaks in the castiorn skillet with leftover cream potatoes, gravy and black eye peas.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    Go Cocks!
    Go Cats!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Steak turned out decent:

This porterhouse fed the whole family and we had leftovers...

This afternoon I took the boys to Micro Center. Me and Big Guy were like kids in a candy store. Little Guy got bored quickly. Added two more SBCs to my collection, a Raspberry Pi Zero W and an Asus Tinker Board.

Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with them yet, but they were on sale. :smiley:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker