Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 butts 14lbs overnighter

Options
Picked u 2 pork butts today. They were on sale for 99cents per lb! I set the egg up for 250-280. I'm using Apple and hickory chunks for smoke. I'll try to post the outcome. 

Comments

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Standing by....any smoked pork scraps for the dog? I saw you said you did it with the chicken trimmings and thought it was cool! 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, why up on the 2nd level? Just curious.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    .99 a pound. What a bargain!  Standing by. 
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    @DMW I like to cook higher in the dome. This is the first low an slow I've done high in the dome. Plus I can put my drip pan on the bottom grid and my pit probe on the back of the thermometer. I think it's more of an experiment.
  • bweaver
    Options
    Well, this is the fastest pork butt I've done so far. I'm guessing it's going to stall soon and hang out awhile....I hope 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Unless it's foiled, you're approaching stall territory. 
  • bweaver
    Options
    No foil....this one just seemed to haul ass
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It probably moved faster than expected because it is higher in the dome. It will be picking up more radiant heat from the dome than if it was down lower.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bweaver
    Options
    Coming near the finish line.....not done yet

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Did you get done close to your target time? Also, what do you think of the time stick triple. I have one in the shopping cart just one more click to go. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bweaver
    Options
    @grege345 Yeah it's resting in the cooler now. I pulled it off around 6am will shred around 1130. It finished in 13hrs. I love my time stick! I bought the regular time stick right when they released the trio. I think it's a must have for sure.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    bweaver said:
    @grege345 Yeah it's resting in the cooler now. I pulled it off around 6am will shred around 1130. It finished in 13hrs. I love my time stick! I bought the regular time stick right when they released the trio. I think it's a must have for sure.
    So it is just a timer? I am trying to figure out what it does other than my iPhone timer. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bweaver
    Options
    Counts up counts down and shows the time. It sticks to the fridge. I guess it's not much different but i like having a timer.
  • grege345
    Options
    The multiple timer intrigues me for when I have two eggs going. Also, if I put put something on the large like potatoes and add something 20 minutes later like the start of a reverse sear. I don't know I have a few bucks and I'm dying to spend it I guess

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

Where do you people live where meat is so cheap?  CAB briskets around here bottom out at $7 a pound, and pork shoulder I've not seen lower than $1.89/lb.  Do I need to move out of Colorado?
  • bweaver
    Options
    I'm in Indiana. "Choice" brisket here is 3.89 a lb this was the cheapest I've ever bought a butt. Normally 1.99 per lb
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Nice!  B)
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • grege345
    Options
    Looks like a great lunch

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great looking plate!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Where do you people live where meat is so cheap?  CAB briskets around here bottom out at $7 a pound, and pork shoulder I've not seen lower than $1.89/lb.  Do I need to move out of Colorado?
    I just picked up pork shoulder for $1.49/lb. it has been coming down in price for a while now. I sometimes marvel at the brisket prices the TX folks pay. Always much higher down here.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bweaver
    Options
    Thanks guys everyone enjoyed it. I can't take full credit. I give 90% of the credit to the bge. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great looking meat!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA