Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138

I just completed my first low and slow cook and would like to compare notes with some of you more experienced cooks.

My first attempt was with a 6 pound pork shoulder with the BGE Viva Caliente rub. I was able to get the grill temperature stabilized at around 240 degrees (was trying for 250 but thought I’d leave well enough alone). It stayed at 240 for a good while but it suddenly started to drop at about 4 hours into the cook. I started to open the vents, trying to stop the drop and finally got it turned around at about 214 with the bottom vent open about 2 inches. At that point the temperature started to climb and it overshot to over 300. I shut the lower vent back down to ½ inch or so and it stabilized at about 270. I was tired of chasing it at that point and left it at 270 for the duration. The total time was about 8 to 9 hours. I took the shoulder off at an indicated internal temperature of 195 by my remote thermometer but when I checked it with my Thermapen it registered about 185. The pork was extremely moist and tender in a few spots but most of it was firm but not really dry. I had hoped that it would have all been moist and tender.

I’m not totally dissatisfied but hoped for better. Also, if you have a favorite pork shoulder thread, please feel free to share it.

I’m open for suggestions.

Mistakes I know I made:

1. I did not let the meat warm to room temperature before cooking. I was already going to be up until 2:00 AM. Was this a critical mistake?

2. I did not use a drip pan with liquid below the meat. I have since purchased the BGE rack and drip pan.  What should I put in the pan besides water?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The pork was not done to temp for pulling. Happens
    Seattle, WA
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Chasing temperature hardly ever works out well.  It emphasizes the importance of stablizing the Egg before adding the meat.  I suspect had you left the temp alone, it would have been fine, especially with as forgiving as pork shoulder can be.  No need to let the meat warm up to room temperature.  for pulled pork, I might use a drip pan, adding the thinnest layer of water just so the drippings from the pork don't burn.  Also, ensure you elevate the drip pan by using balls of foil or something.  That also helps to keep the dripping from burning.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can throw it on frozen if you want, just adds time. 

No no need for water or anything in the drip pan. Just an air gap beneath so the grease doesn't burn and give you stanky smoke. 

Sounds like you jumped on the temp variation too soon. I usually don't sweat as much as 40-50 degrees. 

Also on pulling it. If you want pulled pork, don't shoot for a temp pull when it's all jiggly. Start checking @195 and when you can probe all over with no resistance (like buttah) it's done. Maybe 195, may be 205. You'll know it when it happens. 

Good luck!  You get to try again and that's the best part!  Well besides the eating. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    BTW, where are the pics?  The rule round here is pics or it didn't happen.  =)
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm going to throw 2-7 pounders on today after work for a safety meeting tommorrow. I'll try to document. I usually probe for tenderness around 190. I will pull and ftc around 195-200. All depends on how it "feels"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    A few observations-as mentioned, make sure your temperature is stable on the calibrated dome thermo before you start.  Stable is a variable but at least 30-45 mins with no vent movement and you should be okay.  And +/-10-15 *F on the cooking temp is close enough. 
    I will second the need for a drip pan that is elevated off the platesetter or whatever heat deflector to keep the drippings from burning.  No need for water in the pan.  And no need to let the hunk of meat warm.  Some have gone straight from frozen to the BGE.
    Lump load-for low&slow cooks you can load right to the top of the fire ring-you will not run out and won't worry about running out. 
    When is a butt/shoulder finished?-When the bone pulls clean you are there.  Or when it probes like butter somewhere in the high 190's to low 200's*F.
    I'm sure others will be along...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    I have made quite a few butts and the finishing temp is always between 195 and 205. As @theyolksonyou said probe it till like butter and don't chase the temp around. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good setting at 240°. I wonder why it started to drop. How much lump did you have in the egg when you started? It's possible all you needed was a wiggle when the temps started to drop (ash clogging). One thing to note.  "Little changes" can result in big swings in temp. Agree with all above above cook to "buttah" 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Agree that room temp on a low in slow isn't as important because you won't shock the meat at lower temperatures.  

In regards to temp, Small adjustments take time to work. Instead of chasing, make small adjustments and be patient.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    First off, Pork Butt is super forgiving.  Like others have said, don't chase the temp when getting started.  Get to your goal temp (or close) and then don't fool with the vent or chase them temp, despite small swings in temps during the cook - for a low and slow cook on a butt, 225, 230, 240 is right in the ballpark.  For me, to get to 235 or so, my bottom vent is open about as wide as a Poker Chip.  Top vent is open about the same.  For a low and slow cook, fill lump almost to the top of the fire ring so as to never worry about running out of lump.  Look for the shoulder blade to be nearly slipping out of the butt as a good indication of doneness and lastly, I always double check the temp reading that the probe is giving me by probing with my Thermapen.  On a butt, my target temp is 195 - 203, but like everyone says, it should feel like "buttah" all over that butt.  THEN you are done!
  • fergi
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Sounds like you had a good setting at 240°. I wonder why it started to drop. How much lump did you have in the egg when you started? It's possible all you needed was a wiggle when the temps started to drop (ash clogging). One thing to note.  "Little changes" can result in big swings in temp. Agree with all above above cook to "buttah" 

I didn't fill it completely full of charcoal, but there was charcoal left when I checked it this morning.  When you say "wiggle" do you mean to shake the grill?

Thanks to all for your comments. I have another shoulder in the fridge ready to give it a try armed with this new information!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• grege345
    Options
    Wiggle fire grate with hanger. I use to go up thru the bottom vent and poke the fire grate holes that were clogged with small pieces or ash. The lg can be fussy at times. Not enough holes in the fire grate IMO. A permanent fix is a hi-que grate or better yet a kick ash basket. Please don't shake the egg. Lol. That can only end badly. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Good advice above.

Good decision on realizing that 240 degrees is close enough when you first started off.  You can chase 10 degrees until all day and never get it "just right."

Since you maintained 240 for four hours before the temp started to drop - and assuming you didn't run out of lump - the most likely scenario is a little clogging of the grate with ash.  You could have waited out the drop and it most likely would have recovered.  Or, you could have used a wiggle stick and jiggled the grate to clear the ash.  The waiting it out takes courage, so the wiggle stick is probably the best approach.

Another problem might be the plate setter placement.  On a low-n-slow, placing one leg of the plate setter right under the dome thermometer tends to even out the temperature readings.  Placing the space between the legs right under the dome thermometer can cause temp swings.  The core of the fire tends to wander some inside the firebox.  If the core is towards the front when you start, then the radiated heat and direct air flow warms the thermometer a little extra ... then, later on, when it wanders towards the rear you lose the radiated heat and the direct air flow and it "seems" like it's cooling off while the grate temp is most likely the same.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• grege345
    Options
    That is an awesome 3rd paragraph. You are a very wise man @Jeepster47

• fergi
    Options
    Good advice above.
     that I have 
    "Another problem might be the plate setter placement." fact

Thanks Jeepster47 for the in-depth explanation. My apologies for not including the fact that I have a thermometer mounted directly to the grill and that is the temperature I was reporting. The probe was situated above one of the gaps in the platesetter.

I really appreciate all your comments. I think there's a chance I may get the hang of this thing.

This forum ROCKS!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hold up! The probe was over a gap or a leg?  Another clue if it was over a gap. Same as @Jeepster47 dome theory. 
  • fergi
    Options

Defiantly over a gap. I will place it over a leg from now on.

Thanks!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Great advice from all above.  Have you had a chance to check out this site?  I go back to it all the time for various cooks:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fergi
    Options
    smbishop said:

Great advice from all above.  Have you had a chance to check out this site?  I go back to it all the time for various cooks:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html

Thanks smbishop, That's exactly what I need.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg