Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome pizza tonight

Options
Came out great tonight. Would like to get the bottom a little more crispy. Tonight was about 550 degrees for 9 mins. Was doing over 600 for 8 min before. Any suggestions on making it crispy on the bottom without burning it? Setup was grate then platesetter legs down then pizza stone. 

Comments

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    What the heck happened to finish pic 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Silly posting problems, pizza looks great, only suggestion to crisp up the bottom is brushing the crust with oil/butter before putting it on the peel or higher heat. I'm no pizza expert however. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Haha ...the fan on the bottom!! I love it
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • mtbguy
    Options
    The fan works great to get it going. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Explain your setup with stone. If not crispy enough the stone needs to heat longer. Then I read it burned? Maybe I am reading wrong. If burning you need an air gap between stone and indirect piece. If there is an air gap and it still burns the stone is too hot and take a wet paper towel and wipe stone to cool it some. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    I've been getting Papa Murphy thin crust. Comes on a thin paper plate that you throw right in the egg. Absolutely awesome. Indirect at 425F for 10 min  

cheap too. 
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I second the stone heating longer.  It takes a lot longer than you think.  The Infa-red thermometers work great for testing the actual stone temperature.  Kind of expensive toy just for that though.  Bottom line, it takes a lot longer than you think to warm up the stone.

I tried pizza this week for the second time, and it came out great.  

Thin crust
    Dome temp - 650 to 700
    Stone Temp - 450-500 
    Time - probably 8 minutes, i looked through the top and took them off as the cheese started to brown, but not burn.

I let the egg stablize around 700 degrees while I was preparing the pizzas inside. I had to check the stone temperature multiple times.  I kept checking because I knew it would be hot enough.  This first time I checked it was only about 150 degrees, and it climbed slowly from there.

I roll out the dough then put it on parchment paper move the pizza.  Set it on the stone, wait a few minutes, and then the paper will slide right out.  To me, it is easier to use then corn meal.  Also, I can prepare several pizzas at once, I used to make then on the wooden paddle, but could only make one at a time.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Forgot to add the dough recipe if anyone wants it.  It is very simple, and I have had good results with it on the egg or in an oven on a baking stone:

Warm up 8 oz of water and pour a small pack of yeast into so it starts bubbling

Use a food Processor:

2 cups flour
    1 t salt
    2T Olive oil

Start food processor and slowly pour in the yeast/water.  It will turn to a ball of dough pretty fast.  If it is still too sticky, keep slowly adding flour until the dough is tacky, but wont stick to your hands when you remove it.

Spray glass bowl with pam and put dough ball into it.  Make sure bowl is large enough, dough will probably triple in size.  Cover it with a light cloth and set it under a light on the counter for 3-4 hours. (I use the stove light under the microwave)

When you are ready, sprinkle flour on the counter and knead it like regular dough and shape out whatever size pizza you want.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • mtbguy
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I haven burnt the bottom of one yet. 

Was as thinking of trying woo with grate on it then stone on top of grate.