Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill thermometers

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
As thermometer and probes go, I'm a big fan of the iGrill 2 so far. I used it on my first ever BGE cook and loved it.  

Wirelessly connects via bluetooth to smartphone app.  You can monitor up to 4 probes at once (including ambient) and can set temp alarms to alert you when you've reached target temps.  

In this picture, top is a butt and bottom is temp at grid.
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I bought it twice and returned both times, because BT range doesn't cut it for me. Would work great if you sit out by the egg for most of the cook, but I'm in and out the whole time. It seems like a nifty thing though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    caliking said:
    I bought it twice and returned both times, because BT range doesn't cut it for me. Would work great if you sit out by the egg for most of the cook, but I'm in and out the whole time. It seems like a nifty thing though.
    I don't have a very large house, but I was able to maintain a good connection anywhere inside my home (XL BGE is on the back deck). I was indoors 95% of the time. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    love mine. i know the draw backs and the range
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @johnnyp - that's all that matters then. Glad it works for you. Its a decent price for a remote thermo you can monitor with your phone. I have too many walls, etc. between the eggs and when I'm inside the house for it to work for me. I was kinda bummed that it didn't work for my setup.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @caliking true.  I can imagine being bummed.  It was really nice being able to wake up and check temp on the butt from my nightstand
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I love my igrill2. My egg is close enought the Bluetooth range is not a problem. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Love it but the BT range can be sketchy.  Have a basement and def the BT will not penetrate through that thick of concrete.  I also have issues when trying to go through a lot of walls.  My EGG is on a side patio that our kitchen and living room walks out to.  Works perfectly there.  I do sometimes drop the BT signal and will need to turn off the main unit before it reconnects.  Very few and far between though.  Outside of that, I have no trouble.  Highly recommend IF you can stay within an with not many barriers. 

LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I hoping that someone will develop a Bluetooth repeater that can be used as a range extender.....  Come on, you geeks out there..... get busy!!!!

I have two of the iGrill Mini's that I use for meat and grid temp.  Works great for me.  Id also like if they could have a desktop application so I could remote in to my home computer from the office to check on it.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!