Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg Issues

Options
So my lid started to not want to stay open by itself. I found out the hard way with it slamming down shut. When this happened the band slipped down a little and it looks like the install folks from my local hearth and grill shop didnt use the pre drilled holes but instead tried to tighten the bolts down on the ceramic. Is this normal practice when installing or do I have a bigger issue? I have already contacted the shop I bought it from and am trying to get them to send a tech out to look at it. I sent these same pics to them.
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That little notch in the ceramic is to help get the dome alignment straight. It is supposed to be in the middle of the handle. My guess is that some of the hinge bolts and also the band bolts are not quite tight enough.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the bands 10 years ago were pinned to the dome, bge did away with the pins but the ceramic mold still has the holes.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    ty fishlessman..I was going to let him know that

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    So basically the installers didnt tighten everything up as they should and I just need to go back over everything?
    Franklin, Tn

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It is recommended that you retighten after the first month. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    So basically the installers didnt tighten everything up as they should and I just need to go back over everything?
    those bands need retightening several times til they set properly and if you do cooks over 800 often they need it even more often. reset it, check it after a few cooks, check it again in a month, check it again at 6 months, then its usually good to go. alot of us check it every spring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Are the band bolts properly tightened? If not, the dome may fall out/off and hit the ground.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Loosen everything up, you need to move that top band up--- it is way to low-- then retighten. Just like windshield wipers or tires-- the egg needs some maintenance along the way. I got into the routine of tightening every month
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like my weekend plans are made.  :)
    Franklin, Tn