Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook- Things I Learned

Options
I received lots of advice and read a ton in preparation for my first cook. I chose Pork Butt and Spare ribs since I had experience with these on my gas grill and they always turned out perfectly. 
I used BGE lump charcoal and hickory chunks. Filled the entire bottom but feel like I should have used more since I had issue keeping fire hot enough after about 6 hours. I suspected air flow so I used a coat hanger to poke up through grate at bottom. Temp started rising a little after doing this. 
Ribs finished first and although they were perfectly tender, they were pretty black and could barely taste rub. Perhaps I used too much wood. Only used about 10 chunks spread throughout lump so thought I was good but maybe not. 
Pork butt cooked a couple hours longer than ribs. Extremely tender was about the same in regards to amount of char. Taste was great but would have preferred a little less smoke so I will adjust next time. 
After the cook was over, I removed plate setter and grate to see the coals underneath. I was shocked to see only a couple pieces of charcoal left in the bottom. My cook was only 8 hours so how in the world do people get the charcoal to last 15+ hours? 
All in all, my first cook was a success and I am thrilled with the egg. Can't wait to try new things now that I have slow cook out of the way. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I usually use 1-3 chunks of wood for smoke.  How much charcoal did you have when you started?

1. Ten chunks (depending on size) seems like a lot. I use 2-4 depending on strength. Less hickory, more pecan or fruit. 
    2. Fill the egg up to nearly Top of the fire ring not box for low and slow and you'll have plenty. 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Fill with lump past the top of the fire box, midway up the fire ring closer to the bottom of the platesetter. Yeah, hickory can get strong. Mix in a little apple or oak. Your on the right track, keep chugging along. :wink: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I use a kitchen scale and weigh my wood chunks,  this way I have an exact amount of what i used for reference.  

As stated above, fill to the top of fire ring for low and slow , better too much then not enough. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @tinyfish good call on the scale as reference. I'm stealing that idea for sure. I agree with all above 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Blackness can be due to sugar in the rub. Your other thread you said your temp got higher than you wanted which can burn the sugar. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    I use a kitchen scale and weigh my wood chunks,  this way I have an exact amount of what i used for reference.  
    Seriously? You HAVE to be joking. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @tinyfish good call on the scale as reference. I'm stealing that idea for sure. I agree with all above 
    I cut my own chunks from splits. When I cut a new batch most are pretty close in size. After I weigh a few a have a good idea on weight. A chunk may weigh 3oz's, then I know for ribs I like 6-9oz's for my taste, so I use 2-3 per rib cook.

If you dont already keep logs of your cooks. This way you can refer back to your notes.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    That many chunks took too much space where lump could have gone.  2-3 chunks of Hickory or like Durangler and Yolk said mix in fruit.  I really like pecan or oak for ribs and butt.

Great start though and you will learn the way of the EGG.  Keep on Eggin'.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You did not mention what temp you were cooking at. If you had sugar in your rub you could have burnt that. Also, did you ever verify that your dome thermo was correct?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    You didn't start with enough lump - when you wrote "Filled the entire bottom..." I wondered what that meant.

Looking at an empty egg, there's a metal grate with holes in it at the bottom of the fire box.  Check this page for what these look like: http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/components/

Placed on the top of the fire box is the fire ring. You want the top of the lump to be about even with the bottom of the fire ring, top of the fire box.

Don't worry that you're only cooking one burger - when you close the vents, the fire goes out, and you can re-use any unburned lump next time.

The key is consistency. You want that fire the same temp, with the same vent openings, every single time you use it. If you don't have the same amount of fuel, your vent setting are going to be inconsistent and you're going to burn lump trying to get your target temperature up from 300 or (worse) down from 500.

So, you add a little lump every single time you cook to replace the lump you used on the previous cook. Consistent temps gives you consistent results.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Blassiter
    Options
    I cooked at 250 on average throughout the cook. Got to 270 once when I had to lift the lid to wrap ribs. Good advice with the amount of wood and mixing in some apple with the hickory. I will certainly use less next time. Was used to using wood chips in foil packets on gas grill but I guess the chunks in the egg was a little stronger.  

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The thing with the egg is there is so little air flow so it smolders more than burns. Lots of wood is not your friend. Also, fill'er up, you can use the left over lump tomorrow. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Did I miss the pics? :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Blassiter
    Options

Thanks DieselkW. It sounds like I used the amount of charcoal you mentioned. Filled to top of fire box but probably just used too much wood mixed in with it.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    A tip I recall for a low and slow is to remove all the used lump (can be used again), fill with LARGE CHUNKS at the bottom then fill to just above the fire box line. 

BGE lump is smokey to start with compared to other brand. There's plenty of posts on the forum extolling the virtues of each brand. The favorites, I believe, are Rockwood, Ozark Oak and Royal Oak. BGE has hickory to start with. 

Have fun, have another and plan your next cook! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Blassiter
    Options
    Sorry, THEBuckeye. Took pictures and posted when I started but after pictures would not have been to good since the meat was pretty dark. Tastes good though. Will have to keep practicing till I get it right.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dude, I'm telling ya, fill it to the top of the fire ring!  I have to move lump around to get the platesetter in.  you're not going to waste it.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Blassitr didn't happen  :D
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Blassiter, you are right.
    Just keep practicing; you'll get figured out!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @theyolksonyou Thank you! NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nobody else asked....what brand of lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Henapple, I used BGE lump. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The 'smoke' portion of your cook is all accomplished in the first part of your cook. I can't describe the process as well as some but, following the directions above should keep you on the path to success.

I usually spread a few small chunks in the top layers for my smoke. The wife doesn't like a lot of smoke.

You'll get there kid! Good luck.