Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any one thinking of adding or including an old fashion wood stove to there outdoor Kitchen?

Options
  I just bought one that I'm going to restore. I restored a small one and just purchased a bigger one to restore. I'm just curious if it's just me or are there others that feel the need to cook without the use of gas or electricity.

Maybe I'm Amish.
  I was going to post a couple of pics but I can't find out how to do it from laptop, any help would be appreciated, on how to post or antique stove.

Comments

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    first one restored last year. Bought it for $35 at a church garage sale. Second one I bought for $500 and waiting for better weather to clean up. By the way I figured out how to post.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Love the one in the kitchen but it gets a little hot here in Texas. Really nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice work. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We had a circa 1950ish Montgomery Ward wood fired stove we restored and used maybe a dozen times. I didn't have a good spot for it at the time and didn't want to fool around and have store it. We ended up parting ways to a fella that collects them. 
    It was a heavy son of a gun.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good finds and restore.  

Have thought about them.  I too, desire to be off the grid as much as possible.  IF, I were to install a wood burner in a home, it would be a modern, more efficient unit with a catalytic converter.  Blaze King comes to mind.  Loading every 2 hours and setting alarms to wake and load on an antique "wood" get old real quick.  

A small CI unit like the first pic would be a fun novelty alongside a WFO in a freestanding outdoor kitchen/grilling area.  I do not trust wood burning stoves, candles, fireplaces, etc.  Even with the right installation, stove pipe, chimney, cleaning, fires will still happen.  Just not worth the risk.....to me.  Saw a fancy $300K modern log cabin home burn up on the news recently due to a candle when the power went out.       

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Justacookin
    Options
    have a franklin in the garage with a couple of pots and the hangers to swing in and out but it is just sitting there from my grand parents cabin will have forever. and some day put it to use. I hope
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Never actually thought of having one in an outdoor kitchen but I really like the idea.

I'd be more worried about my house getting struck by lightning than a candle fire. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • leo123
    Options
    I wasn't looking to put a stove in the house, but wanted to refurbish and keep one outside. I know that the stove would never pass code so I was interested in putting one outside. I don't care about the small leaks, because the open air would be well ventilated outside.

I know that corrosion would be a problem, but i thought that if I could restore one and use it for the summer and then sell it and maybe restore another it may get me off of the couch more.

I thought that I may put the topic out there just in case there is some one that actually did this and had advice.    
      Maybe I should have posted this on O/T

Thanks for your views and any advice that you may have.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Would look cool, but how are you going to vent it and what would you use if for?
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I have this stove I plan on using in my outdoor kitchen someday.
    image.jpg 1012.5K

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Love your stoves. This one might go into my outdoor kitchen . And it just might just rust to hell before I get it started
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    do you have all the parts for the stoves?
  • leo123
    Options
    I do have all the parts for the stove. The only thing that is missing is two liner bricks that are easily replaceable.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @leo123 ...great idea and good looking stove....damn, gotta get on Craigslist now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    never thought to put one near the egg but ive been building a small stove for the boat off and on. making it from an old propane tank from a gasser
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • leo123
    Options
     Hey Henapple, I am honored by your reply. I am a fan of your insight and your posts.
       By the way I found the stoves on Kijiji not craigslist.
     I'll try to post a pic of another stove that I have found and may see it tomorrow. The location is from an Amish community here in Canada within the Gta.

(greater toronto area.) 

• leo123
    Options
    by the way the object on the far right of the stove holds water. It is a reservoir
    that you fill with water and you always have a source of hot water.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's a beautiful stove.  My mom has an old wood burner that's in good condition in her garage.  It's been in storage for at least 30 years.  I looked at it a few years ago and considered putting at my late house, but decided it wasn't useful and took up too much room.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • leo123
    Options
     Just by fooling around and showing an interest in these old stoves it seems like everyone has been making them in every county here. The first on was made in Durham and the second one was made in Wingham. The third one I was looking at was made in Drayton Ontario
  • leo123
    Options
     I think that I have cabin fever. 
      Cabin fever is great when you are newly weds but if you have been married over 25 years then you are looking for a new project to restore.

I could say more but I think that I will stop here.