Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT but in honor of Mardi Gras....chicken jambalaya...Laissez les bon temps roulez

One of my family's favorites is a pretty simple chicken and andouille jambalaya....

Not much to it really, I take about a 1/2 pound of andouille, a whole roasted chicken, some onion and green bell pepper (sautéed in the andouille rendering), and add a can of Rotel and about 3+ cups of chicken broth.  I add some Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Magic and 2 bay leaves.  Mix that all together then add a cup of rice to it and let it simmer for about an hour.  

Gotta have a good beer and some crusty French bread of course.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Looks great. We made the same yesterday.we spatched a chicken with some hickory to give it some egg flavor.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'll take a big bowl of that please.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Will also like a big bowl please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• You make it sound so simple. I will take two big bowls please! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

This may be a dumb question, but di you add one cup of uncooked rice, or cooked? I'm guessing it should be uncooked?

And thanks for the recipe!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    caliking,

That is one cup of "uncooked" rice.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    edited February 2015
    Yes, uncooked rice.  You may need to add another 1/2 cup of more of the stock.  I add the chicken stock to steam the rice with the lid closed for about 40-50 minutes.  My stove is a POS and doesn't cook consistently so my time varies.  

I was told by my New Orleans friend that you are not supposed to add the rice to the mix but rather serve the jambalaya OVER the rice.  ::eyeroll:: whatever.  This has worked for me for years.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

You dared to defy your NOLA friend ?!?!!? :D

I'm a fan of one-pot meals, and this sounds like a keeper. And thanks @nolan8v

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.