Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First timer... Best of and how to's...need to knows.

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Szucker said:

I had a great first smoke. I think I used a little too much wood but the ribs tasted nice. After the 4 one the smoke taste got to be a little bitter tasting. I'm thinking too long or too much wood. I did 1.5 hrs at 280 then 1.5 hrs flipped over then 45 minutes in foil basted with bbq. I think too much heat. Less wood and more time. Thoughts?

Just for kicks this is how I do them:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub.
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

Welcome! Enjoy the wonderful dysfunctional family we are. :)@Mickey what are these bolts of which you speak?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Welcome!

You have likely forgotten more about cooking than I now know :) A couple of tips that I learned the hard way:

1. Burp the egg!! Especially when cooking above 400-450°F.

2. Don't be stingy with the charcoal. Fill 'er up. When you snuff the fire out, you can still use what's left for the next cook.

3. Don't cook to time. Cook to temp. Buy a reliable thermometer from a reliable manufacturer like Thermoworks. Many here have the Thermapen, but the Thermopop is a great deal. They have others that are not as pricey as the Thermapen too.

And an easy one is - if you ever meet @henapple somewhere... drink as much of his PBR as you can tolerate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Szucker
    Options
    Thanks for the rib tips! Live and learn
  • Mickey
    Options
    Where are you?

• Szucker
    Options
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Here is a good write up another egger did that helped me out when I first started.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161232/bge-newbie-quickstart-guide#latest
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL