Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken thighs

Options
tony7532
tony7532 Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Poultry
what is the best chicken thigh recipe on the xl egg

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I made the best thighs I've ever done a couple weekends ago.  Brined, dried in the frig overnight, smeared with a thin layer of mayo, sprinkled with Montreal Chicken rub, cooked indirect at 400, pecan chips.

Is that the "best" recipe?  Prolly not, but it's the best I've done.  So far.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi tony. Welcome. Best? Who knows. This one's mighty tasty though. Easy too.

Marinate thighs, other parts or the whole bird for that matter in Goya Mojo Criollo marinade for a couple of hours (or up to 24 I was told, though I haven't tried it). Cook at 400* raised direct with cherry wood smoke until 175ish for thighs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    Botch said:

I made the best thighs I've ever done a couple weekends ago.  Brined, dried in the frig overnight, smeared with a thin layer of mayo, sprinkled with Montreal Chicken rub, cooked indirect at 400, pecan chips.

That Montreal Chicken is good stuff.  I've done breasts and legs with that the last 3 times i've had a hankering for chicken.  400 indirect with peach, and turned out damn fine both times.

I also like to marinate overnight in a bag with cheap itialian dressing (cheaper the better), then sprinkle montreal over it before going onto the grill.

Thinking i'm going to try a spatch with montreal next time around.

I've been a fan of their montreal steak shake too, but it seems a bit overpowering, anything you put it on has that same flavor profile (although its still good), hamburger, steak, pork chop, doesn't matter, all tastes like the montreal steak shake.  The montreal chicken though, doesn't have that overwhelming-ness....
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I cook 8 thighs every week on my xl.

My fav is soak in allegro hot and spicy for 4-24 hours.

Dust with byrons butt rub

Cook at 400 raised direct till 170-180

Smather with Blues hog 10 min before done.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.