Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nuts for my honey!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898

OK - this is NOT an egg related post - so move on if that bothers you. Yesterday I made 3 batches of pecans for my honey. Total involved was 3 pounds though since I was experimenting I tossed a half pound of burnt nuts. Two pounds were baked with a coating of butter and salt - YUMMY!!! Hard to stop eating those! The other was based on a recipe that @CarolinaQ shared from his s-i-l. It involved using an egg white, cinnamon and I substituted powdered sugar for regular sugar. Recipe said cook from 30 to 45 minutes so I tried 35, only to discover smoke in the kitchen at 27 minutes. The once gooey nuts had become home made lump! I learned from that failure and tried the other half pound. They too are quite delicious. Thing is we are not sure these will even last until Valentines Day! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice! I'm a sucker for these and pecan pralines.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Those wouldn't last long in my house Ron! They look fantastic, and I am sure she will appreciate them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Man the internet has ruined me... >:)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    But really, looks good.  Did you consider doing them on the egg or is the current dip in temperatures making you not want to use your egg like me?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ron, I asked her for that recipe the very first time I tasted those, several years ago. For some reason, I have yet to make them myself. SIL gives them every Christmas, but that's it for me.

Sorry about the burned ones. Different ovens cook differently, I guess. I always start checking well in advance when trying a new recipe. Did you calibrate? Did she? LOL

Hope you took a pic to compete with Mickey's wings. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options

Ron, I asked her for that recipe the very first time I tasted those, several years ago. For some reason, I have yet to make them myself. SIL gives them every Christmas, but that's it for me.

Sorry about the burned ones. Different ovens cook differently, I guess. I always start checking well in advance when trying a new recipe. Did you calibrate? Did she? LOL

Hope you took a pic to compete with Mickey's wings. ;)

Michael - it's a relatively new Whirlpool and has always been dead on accurate. I think the problem was I should have moved them higher up as they probably were too close to the heating element. On top of that having used powdered sugar inside of the regular granular sugar they were VERY sticky and they simply burnt. I take full blame!
  • RRP
    Options

But really, looks good.  Did you consider doing them on the egg or is the current dip in temperatures making you not want to use your egg like me?

I make many pounds of the buttered/salted pecans during the year and then freeze them. I have the routine down so pat that doing them in the oven is merely more convenient and consistent. Besides the cookie sheets I use each hold 1 pound of nuts and only take 16 minutes to bake. Could I use the egg? sure, but the oven is so much more convenient plus I would have to find some other set of cookie sheets to fit my large egg. I take the easy way out!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ahh, I missed the part where you subbed powdered for granulated. Those would behave differently I guess. Live and learn.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options

Ahh, I missed the part where you subbed powdered for granulated. Those would behave differently I guess. Live and learn.

On top of that the when I Googled substitution I found I needed 1.75 cup of powdered sugar for 1 cup granulated. I cut back to only 1.5 but even then there was a LOT of volume to get mixed up thoroughly. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    wow is that all you got her? Hope you know how to build a dog house :o3
  • RRP
    Options

wow is that all you got her? Hope you know how to build a dog house :o3

Actually we are coming up on our 49th wedding anniversary and in all these years we only did one Valentine Day gift exchange in all these years. It just so happened when I went shopping for new tins to put the nuts in these VD themed ones were the only ones I could find this week. We express our love day in day out and don't do the VD stuff. BUT again to each their own! 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Wow 49 years congrats.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Doing our 30th in November . My wife is a saint
  • RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I hear you and understand! 

The reason we no longer buy gifts on VD is funny in a way. We were married in August, 1966 fresh out of college so our first married VD was in 1967. I bought her a small box of Fanny May chocolates as we didn't have a lot of coin at that time and she bought me a pocket knife that I still have to this day. Then the second year (1968) she was now teaching full time and I had gotten a pay raise. For VD I was out and about at a local "new" shopping center as they were called then and I sprung for one of those traditional red heart shaped boxes of chocolates. DUMB ME at that time returned to my car - an open seated '56 MGA roadster and put it on the passenger seat while I went to lunch. Well...you probably have already figured this out...I got back to my car and the box of chocolate wa long gone and I had like $2 left in my pocket! All I could do when I got home was to explain my stupid mistake and how some body somewhere had a nice box of chocolates at MY expense. That set the tone ever since and other than RICH hugs, kisses and "whatever" there have been NO gifts given between us since then! BTW I hope whoever stole my box of chocolates that day back in 1968 got what he wanted that night...
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Who's that handsome devil in the car?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I hate theives! But look at the positive, you have a great story to tell and a memory to charish .... btw those nuts look fantastic!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @RRP That is a great story and memory you have there.

I have a good VD story from our first VD as a married couple. I don't have any pictures, so you just have to believe me. Like you, we were broke as can be. My wife was expecting (our daughter was born 13 days later) so we were not planning a night out. Anyway, I was running late coming home from work.

I stopped at a shopping center that was right across from where I was working looking for something to get her, because like the guy I usually am I didn't plan ahead. I saw some flowers on display at the Michaels out front of the store. I thought to myself, great, I will pickup flowers for my lovely bride without wasting too much time getting something.

Anyway, I get home and give her the flowers, she thanks me and we proceed to dinner. I was kind of surprised she didn't put them in a vase like she usually would... Finally I asked her why she didn't. She kind of looked at me funny and asked if I was serious.

To this day, we still laugh about the wooden tulips I bought her for our first VD together...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Too bad you left the car in a barn for someone else to take too. Hope they restored it. As I recall, at least It wasn't a twin cam. You need to take better care of your stuff! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options

Too bad you left the car in a barn for someone else to take too. Hope they restored it. As I recall, at least It wasn't a twin cam. You need to take better care of your stuff! :)

I understand, Michael, but from what I have since learned the son of the "horse stable and barn owner" was a snake and probably even sold my MG for something that went up his veins that night. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Such a great story.