Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast

Options

Was tasked by SWMBO to cook something for a church covered dish. Found an 8 lb. bone in turkey breast I thought would do the trick.

Brined with a basic salt/ sugar/ apple cider vinegar/ water brine for 24 hours on the front porch (37 degrees!). I was supposed to have it ready for lunch on Sunday, but the event was delayed, so I ended up keeping the brined breast in the fridge for two days instead of one. I was worried that the extra day would end up drying it out, but that didn't happen.

I put a few pats of butter under the skin, no other seasoning, and smoked indirect at 275/ 285 with apple juice in a drip pan, using a couple of chunks of apple wood. Set the IT alarm for 160, and about 2 1/2 hours later, it got there.

Juicy, great taste, and a hit at the function. BTW, I kept the carcass and boiled it the next day to make turkey noodle soup. That tasted great, too, with the smoked flavor of the turkey.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments