Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs for dinner

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
edited February 2015 in Beef
Have been watching the beef short rib cooks and decided to give them a try.  The wife brought home a package of two one pound ribs.  So, this morning I filled the large egg with RW and added pecan chunks for smoke ... thought
about oak, but chickened out at the last minute.  Let the DigiQ bring
the temp up to 225 degrees and idle for about 20 minutes while preparing the meat.  Rubbed the ribs down with Penzeys' English Prime Rib Rub ... no mayo, no mustard, just the moisture on the meat. Threw the ribs on the grill, closed the lid and ignored it for three hours ... a Maverick pit probe keep telling me everything was okay.  The wife informed me that she had a meeting at 6:30, so after four hours the temp was bumped up to 250 degrees.  Pulled the ribs after 6:45 hours ... IT was about 190, so they could have stayed on the grill a little longer.

Okay, now I know what folks are raving about.  What a burst of beef flavor!  The fact that there are no left overs for tomorrow says it all.  This cook will definitely be repeated.  Any suggestions for improvement?

On the grill:

Three hours into the cook ... meat is starting to pull back ... no drippings yet, but poke a rib with a Thermopen and the juices erupt right out the top ... IT is 150 to 160 degrees:

And on the plate ... sorry about the left over sides, but I love potato salad and the missus makes a big batch for me:

Again, any improvements you can see?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Yup-cook more ribs :)  And any beef ribs beat their pork cousins any day of the week.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Every weekend I stand at the counter and say this is the weekend I try short ribs. Then I chicken out. I was always under the impression that they needed to be braised or sous vide. I'll try them. Thank you
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    It's tough to tell you about improving without your sending us some. Will be at the mailbox :!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I was THIS close to buying some shorties today. Damn, wish I had.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Lousubcap ... I was amazed with the blast of flavor from them.  The rub was a part of it, but damn that piece of meat has lots of flavor.

@greg3345 ... if I can cook them, you can't lose.

Hey @Mickey ... ribs are in the mail ... just stand there.

@theyolksonyou ... you've still got time.  They're not an after work cook ... you'll need to do them on the week end ... either that or retire.

• tisoypops
    Options
    Those look really good sir. I'm about ready to try them out myself
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Just picked up some today. I'll throw them on with the pastrami this weekend.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Every weekend I stand at the counter and say this is the weekend I try short ribs. Then I chicken out. I was always under the impression that they needed to be braised or sous vide. I'll try them. Thank you
    I also avoided them for the same reason.  Then I read the results on here and was at restaurant depot and bought a package of short ribs.  They sell them uncut - a full slab of 4 bones.  They were great.  I've also cooked Plate Ribs the same way and they are also great.  I no longer have any interest in beef back ribs since the short or plate ribs are so great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's a poor choice of ribs...I'll start another thread... =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Putting these on Wed.  Can't wait, I haven't had them in ages and certainly not on the Egg.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @henapples has a hankerin to hassle humanity

@jeepster47 jumps for joy when jovial jokesters join in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    logchief said:
    Putting these on Wed.  Can't wait, I haven't had them in ages and certainly not on the Egg.
    @jeepster47 shared these with me and they were fantastic.  Good luck with the cook.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Traveling to sunny California to get out of the snow, so only get to check into the forum once in a while.  With @henapple posting, I'll finish today with a laugh.  The thread he's referring to is this one.