Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks for saving my bacon guys!!

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
So I made a bunch of wings last night.  Georgia Red Wings (Thanks @RRP )  and Some @Cazzy wings.  Well we went through 8lbs of wings yesterday.  The family wanted more today!!  So knowing I need 2.5 days to make Georgia red I decided to make some more Cazzy wings.

Those who know the recipe know it takes 4 rounds of basting with a really good, but sticky sauce.  This sauce got all over my grill grates.  I decided to pull the stone out (covered in ALF so no biggie, strip that off and it is clean), pulled the WOO out and put the grate back in on lowest level.  I removed the top opened up the bottom vent wide open went inside for 15 minutes.  When I stepped back out the gauge wrapped around to 300, not sure what that means for temp but I know it means hot.

So you guys know what happens next!  I grab the lid and begin to whip it open.  Right at the moment the lid opens a little thought made it from the back of my mind right to the front .... STOP!!! .... well luckily I listened.  I stopped with the lid about 2"' open and the burst of oxygen or whatever hit the coals and flame shot all the way around the whole lid.  Luckily, it stopped just before my hand.  I closed the lid and burped it a few times and then opened it.

I can only imagine what my face with all the hair burned off would have looked like because without this board I would have been hit in the face with huge blast of flames.  (We will ignore the fact that without the board I would have never thought to go nuclear to clean it, but that is a thought for another day :)

So guys, thanks for saving my ugly mug.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Damn...you totally dodged a bullet there. So, you are using a drip pan, right?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I was expecting the lid to be glued shut.

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    cazzy said:

Damn...you totally dodged a bullet there. So, you are using a drip pan, right?

Sort of. My drip pan from CGS is on order. In the meantime I fold a catch basin out if AL foil. It sort of works. The sauce that drips in scorches, but at least the lump doesn't smolder.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Oh that would suck. At what temp does that happen?
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Do you have facial hair? Well, I used to have some before that happened to me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Here are Cazzy's wings

Here are Ron's Georgia Red modified wings

Here are some of mine made with Hanenero Death Dust. These are great but you have to eat them fast otherwise your face may melt off.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    edited February 2015
    Options

Here are Cazzy's wings

Here are Ron's Georgia Red modified wings

Here are some of mine made with Hanenero Death Dust. These are great but you have to eat them fast otherwise your face may melt off.

Georgia Red Wings modified...I guess...never seen any that weren't red in color! Yours are yellow. What did you do differently?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @RRP .... I meant your recipie, i.e. with your tweaks.

I have no idea what I did different. Thought I did it just like the recipie called for. Guess I need to review what I did :(
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

You were there, just didnt leave it nuclear long enough ( lucky for you).

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

You were there, just didnt leave it nuclear long enough ( lucky for you).
    I did same thing night before and it capped out around 800. Tonight glad I was there.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I let mine do it and then just let it cool. Should have gone out and opened it after it cooled some and snuffed out but I didnt. Didnt do a lot of good for my gasket. It doesnt really "leak", but its hard as rock now.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options

@RRP .... I meant your recipie, i.e. with your tweaks.

I have no idea what I did different. Thought I did it just like the recipie called for. Guess I need to review what I did :(

Could you have left out the RED Texas Pete? or the RED Hot V-8? Something was amiss, but thanks for calling it "modified"! Here's an older picture for comparison. All that color came from the marinade and NOT a topical brushing. The marinade turns the white poultry meat red.
  • cazzy
    Options
    @RRP is Captain Wingsano! @-)
  • RRP
    Options
    cazzy said:

NO - I am not! I know Jamie through his Father so maybe I should have taken my conversation with him off the forum, but the picture he posted as being the Georgia Red Wings is way WAY off color and I just want to try to clear up the issue in case others want to try the recipe.
  • cazzy
    Options
    RRP said:

cazzy said:

NO - I am not! I know Jamie through his Father so maybe I should have taken my conversation with him off the forum, but the picture he posted as being the Georgia Red Wings is way WAY off color and I just want to try to clear up the issue in case others want to try the recipe.
    I really don't care...I've just been waiting 3 years to call someone Captain Wingsano. :D

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to check another box. ;)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    cazzy said:

RRP said:

cazzy said:

I really don't care...I've just been waiting 3 years to call someone Captain Wingsano. :D

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to check another box. ;)

I don't even know who the captain is, but.... =))
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    cazzy said:

Ron (@RRP ) and I are friends. We are both local to each other.

He is Captain Wing-san ... as in teacher ;)

He is right about the color. I noticed the lack of red but just chalked it up to lighting in the photos. The flavor went all the way to the bone.

I did a 4hr salt brine, rinsed and put in a fresh bag with:

water, soy sauce, texas pete, fresh squezzed lemon juice, and hot&spicy V8. I had no Dizzy pig though. I grilled indirect at 425 for around 1hr. I also used cherry which usually imparts a pretty dark color. The wings were good, they had a bloody mary vibe going on.

Only thing I can figure is I didn't mix the marinade well enough, or the soy sauce I used had a very strong coloring agent.

Cazzy's wings had a beautiful color. The basting did wonders for presentation and flavor!

Hopefully Ron will cook some at an eggfest and I can see how they are supposed to look. hint, hint @RRP
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    How do you think I came up with my name?

8-X

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention was I pulled the wings removed the woo2 and dropped the grate to crisp up the wings. I was underwhelmed with the Georgia RW until I hit them direct for about 3 minutes. That brought them to life! I would do them again for sure even though I am pretty sure I hosed up some step.
  • RRP
    Options

cazzy said:

Ron (@RRP ) and I are friends. We are both local to each other.

He is Captain Wing-san ... as in teacher ;)

He is right about the color. I noticed the lack of red but just chalked it up to lighting in the photos. The flavor went all the way to the bone.

I did a 4hr salt brine, rinsed and put in a fresh bag with:

water, soy sauce, texas pete, fresh squezzed lemon juice, and hot&spicy V8. I had no Dizzy pig though. I grilled indirect at 425 for around 1hr. I also used cherry which usually imparts a pretty dark color. The wings were good, they had a bloody mary vibe going on.

Only thing I can figure is I didn't mix the marinade well enough, or the soy sauce I used had a very strong coloring agent.

Cazzy's wings had a beautiful color. The basting did wonders for presentation and flavor!

Hopefully Ron will cook some at an eggfest and I can see how they are supposed to look. hint, hint @RRP
    LOL - GRW have been a signature entree of mine for 12 years now at the Peoria Eggfest!  #13 will be Saturday, June 6th, 2015 at Hearth and Patio in Peoria, IL . And BTW there is NO charge to attend as a taster...
  • JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road