Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Must Have Accessories

Options
Just bought my LBGE last week and have picked up a few accessories/tools. Latest purchase is the Maverick ET-733 Thermometer and I'm currently looking for the Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer system for the egg.

I was wondering what are some of the must have accessories that you guys use with your BGE?

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thermapen or Thermopop for quick reads for steaks. They also keep the Mav honest
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

Congrats on the purchase. Here are my most used accessories in no particular order.

1. Platesetter
    2. Ash tool & ash collector that hooks up to the bottom vent
    3. Half moon plate for doing reverse sear

Hope this helps, enjoy!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'd get oval AR over divide and conquer.
    Seattle, WA
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

I'd get oval AR over divide and conquer.

Just took a look I'm liking a the adjustable rig shipping to Canada is about $80 so that kind of kills it for me.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Yeah one thing his shipping is a bit high even in the states... X_X
    Seattle, WA
  • dirty_denim86
    Options

Are there any big issues with going with the oval over the round ceramic stone?

I know the oval is definitely good for making ribs and brisket but how about smoking chicken where most of the indirect heat will come from the sides of the oval stone.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @dirty_denim86 like you I'm in Canada too Toronto. I didn't want to pay the shipping either but there's no product like the AR. So I finally ordered it, the quality is number 1 and will last a lifetime. I've spent $ on worse things then that. I've now ordered two AR's, one to Toronto and the second one to a friends friend in Buffalo who then crossed the border to deliver it.

Hope this helps.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A lot depends on what you plan to cook and how much of it. For example, I am perfectly fine without an AR. Can't think of a single time in my 5+ years of egging when I wished I had one. Others use them all the time. My platesetter is all I use for indirect cooks and a second grid plus some carriage bolts raises my grid just fine. Nothing against the AR, everyone seems to love 'em. I just have no need for one.

Also, you might want to wait awhile before you decide what is a must have. I thought a maverick and a DigiQ were must haves. I use the DigiQ occasionally, but would have been fine without it. Almost never bother with the Mav.

Oh yeah, some sort of lighting would be nice. I use a flashlight... not the best plan.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Lump meat fire
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

@dirty_denim86 like you I'm in Canada too Toronto. I didn't want to pay the shipping either but there's no product like the AR. So I finally ordered it, the quality is number 1 and will last a lifetime. I've spent $ on worse things then that. I've now ordered two AR's, one to Toronto and the second one to a friends friend in Buffalo who then crossed the border to deliver it.

Hope this helps.

On your order did you have to pay any duty on your shipped order?
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

Hope this helps.

I second that.  I live in Alaska so, I, too, had to pay a premium for shipping.  I am extremely pleased with the product and have no regrets. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    None of the accessories really matter, you have a BGE! The accessories are just icing on the cake!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• SkinnyV
    Options
    LKNEgg said:

None of the accessories really matter, you have a BGE! The accessories are just icing on the cake!

"disagree"

The egg to me is unusable with the stock grid placement so close to the lump. You need an indirect cooking vessel as well.

I must say I have not used one of my eggs stock....but that grid placement out the no baffles me.
    Seattle, WA
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    Thermoworks Thermapen & Timestick, Ceramic grill store adjustable rig
    Rowlett, Texas
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Need a raised direct setup. This can be achieved with 3 bricks in fire ring or by hitting the ceramic grill store. There is a setup for everyone's budget, sometimes it just requires some ingenuity.

My "must haves" are thermopen, adjustable rig with stone for large woo with stone for mini, maverick for my overnights (so I can sleep) and a second fridge for booze.
  • dirty_denim86
    dirty_denim86 Posts: 138
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Need a raised direct setup. This can be achieved with 3 bricks in fire ring or by hitting the ceramic grill store. There is a setup for everyone's budget, sometimes it just requires some ingenuity.

My "must haves" are thermopen, adjustable rig with stone for large woo with stone for mini, maverick for my overnights (so I can sleep) and a second fridge for booze.

Currently for my raise I am using 2 fire bricks it works. I also have a plate setter but will hold off using it until I can decide on the oval AR Combo or the round stone I'm just not a fan of the platesetter design with those heat zones.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 for @Chubbs recommendations.  Especially "There is a setup for everyone's budget, sometimes it just requires some ingenuity."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I agree with @chubbs as well.  I think there are a lot of cool products out there but if you are on a budget then ingenuity comes into play.  For the longest time I used beer cans to raise my grid to felt line.  Worked well enough.  Stability was a downside.  There is always more than 1 way to skin a cat.  I would get to know the EGG first and what you like to cook and how you like to cook it.  From that point you can experiment with fire bricks and cans to create setups.

All that being said...
    I do have an AR now with Extended rack.  I wouldn't trade anything for it.  Do I think it is a necessity?  No but it makes life SO MUCH Easier! Thermopen as others have said is a must as well.  I do have an igrill2 but that is more for convenience.  

So many great products out there... 

LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @Chubbs nailed it. Extra fridge for booze.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    AR is a must. The poster that doesn't need one is because he has the platesetter and a homemade AR. Either way, the functionality is needed. Can't go wrong with the AR for sure.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @4Runner ... your spelling auto correct must have kicked in ... I'm sure you were typing that the "AR is a nice option."

If the egg came with a plate setter, then a PSWoo, a cheap 13 inch Weber grill, and either bolts or bricks is an inexpensive alternative.  After cooking with that setup for awhile, you should be more knowledgeable about what you need in an AR setup ... or if you need it at all.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    ^^^^i keep shaking my phone, but the like button still doesn't show.
  • Jeepster47
    Options

^^^^i keep shaking my phone, but the like button still doesn't show.

It's all in the wrist ... just keep trying it'll come to you ... eventually.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

@4Runner ... your spelling auto correct must have kicked in ... I'm sure you were typing that the "AR is a nice option."

If the egg came with a plate setter, then a PSWoo, a cheap 13 inch Weber grill, and either bolts or bricks is an inexpensive alternative.  After cooking with that setup for awhile, you should be more knowledgeable about what you need in an AR setup ... or if you need it at all.

No auto correct...but your reading comprehension could stand improvement.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I use fire bricks to raise a extra grill grateimage

Have fun shopping for all the new toys
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The AR is way easier to cook on multiple levels and raised direct. If you can afford it, I'd get it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Meat gloves. Revoving turkeys and large pieces of pork or beef has never been so easy.
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Think I'm going to grab the adjustable rig after all.

Any reason why I would go with the round stone over the oval?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    If you cook a lot if ribs and brisket, R&B combo. Better coverage for long meats so they are not over direct flame
  • Ballardbbq
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

LKNEgg said:

"disagree"

The egg to me is unusable with the stock grid placement so close to the lump. You need an indirect cooking vessel as well.

I must say I have not used one of my eggs stock....but that grid placement out the no baffles me.

I agree 100% with SkinnyV. If I had my Egg and not gotten accessories like the AR for the large and the Mini-Max woo from Ceramic Grill Store I would probably hardly use it. One time someone on the forum said they worked with someone who never uses their BGE, my thought was 'no accessories'. 

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island