Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing with a propane torch

I sear with one of these sometimesimagebut as the tank gets a little low it seems to go out alot. I know that holding the tank upright is best but that is difficult when trying to sear a piece of meat on the counter, you have to hold it at least parallel to the floor. Is there a good option for a longer, adjustable nozzle for these type tanks?  
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2015
    Those simply don't work upside down. That torch head doesn't have a regulator. Get a TS4000 or TS8000.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Rub the meat with gasoline that might sear it ;)
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Thanks @DMW, just ordered the TS8000 from Amazon
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    edited January 2015
    No prob, you'll like it. I had the same problem. Saw everyone here using a torch to light their lump and couldn't figure out why every time I tipped it over too far it would go out. Lighting lump with it was a PITA. Then at an eggfest I saw someone using a better one and I went home and bought the TS8000. I use it all the time now.

I'm close to buying a searzall for it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    I just ordered the TS4000 kit . . hope its got enough power.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    I would have ordered a Searzall for just a bit more $. Have been using the weedburner recently and it works quite nicely.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,735
    I use the 8250 with the trigger igniter and flex hose and I really like it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,976
    I never liked holding a tank upside down over the blasting flame so I bought one of these with the tube. That means the tank is upright and out of harms way!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 819
    @RRP I see you have a yellow tank.  I buy the cheap blue ones.  The yellow are more expensive....cant remember why?  Does the propane burn "hotter"?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    edited January 2015
    EGGjlmh said:

@RRP I see you have a yellow tank.  I buy the cheap blue ones.  The yellow are more expensive....cant remember why?  Does the propane burn "hotter"?

NO! MAPP is yellow and is HOTTER and the propane is blue. I don't know the specs without Googling it and am tied up right now - maybe someone else will chime in.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2015
    I guess the Searzall attaches to the TS8000 so I may order it later
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • EGGjlmh
    I will have to try the yellow (MAPP).  Did a google, they also sell a red tank that is oxygen.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Real men drink moonshine and piss on the lump and light it...maybe that's a Tennessee thing. Or me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    jls9595 said:

I guess the Searzall attaches to the TS8000 so I may order it later

my bad. I thought it attached directly to the tank.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    EGGjlmh said:

I will have to try the yellow (MAPP).  Did a google, they also sell a red tank that is oxygen.

Safety issue to consider - a lower heat propane tank can be used with a MAPP head, but a propane head should NEVER be used with a MAPP tank!
  • DMW
    The TS8000 is rated for MAPP-Pro or Propane. You can't actually buy real MAPP gas anymore. The difference isn't all that great for torching food.

Also, if using a Searzall, it is recommended you use the green shorter squatter propane tanks instead of the tall blue ones. The Searzall adds more weight to the TS head and makes it tippy with the narrow tank.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EGGjlmh
    RRP said:

EGGjlmh said:

Safety issue to consider - a lower heat propane tank can be used with a MAPP head, but a propane head should NEVER be used with a MAPP tank!
    I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    gerhardk said:

Rub the meat with gasoline that might sear it ;)

thata' a boy...you tell him

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'm at a loss here. Why are y'all using a torch to begin with?? (To sear meat)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    @Jeremiah To finish meat cooked sous vide. Gives the ability to only sear the surface without any additional cooking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @DMW that's what I figured. Wouldn't the egg do a better job?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

Mapp gas is no longer made. What you buy today is called stabilized liquefied petroleum gas  (LPG) with high levels of propylene. Not as good as MAPP but better then propane.

Tried to post a Wikipedia link but the post got lost in cyber space.

sorry @DMV hit the nail on the head,

• DMW
    @Jeremiah
    Several factors involved. 

1) Firing the egg for only a few seconds of searing or spark a torch. Torch is less effort
    2) Searing inside an egg will continue to cook the food from the ambient temps of the egg. With a torch you are only exposing the surface to high heat and creating the Maillard reaction you want. No additional cooking below the surface.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW said:

@Jeremiah

Several factors involved. 

1) Firing the egg for only a few seconds of searing or spark a torch. Torch is less effort
    2) Searing inside an egg will continue to cook the food from the ambient temps of the egg. With a torch you are only exposing the surface to high heat and creating the Maillard reaction you want. No additional cooking below the surface.

You are essentially right on the money.  However the devil has been known to lurk in the details.  Reminiscing on my old Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer tomes, I think we are looking for High Temperature, Low Heat.  Really inconsequential though as item 1 is true and item 2 is what I do in my yard.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.