Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best boneless alternative to short ribs?

Options

I'm thinking of going boneless this weekend for my traditional Super Bowl Kalbi cook. These are marinated cross-cut (flanken) short ribs.

While I prefer them with the bones, they often contain bone splinters due to the thin cuts required, and there's also a lot of waste from the daintier of my guests who try to eat them with utensils.

Yesterday I hit Whole Foods, Costco, and HEB to check out the alternatives. Whole Foods suggested "boneless chuck ribs" which they can cut into the 1/3" strips that I need. Costco had gigantic "rib roasts" that I would likely have to slice myself. HEB was just about useless, except they have the normal cross-cut ribs pretty cheap.

Couple pics of the traditional type from prior events:

I'm looking for similar texture and tenderness, and little/no sinew. They'll be marinated for 24-36 hours, then seared. 

Appreciate any thoughts on these options, or others. Have to purchase today so I can get them marinating soon.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My Costco sells boneless short ribs exclusively. If I want bone-in ribs, I have to get a whole rib roast.

The boneless ones are usually by the flank steak and chuck roasts(roast section as opposed to where the steaks are).
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Oops, almost forgot. Another option is getting sirloin tip and slicing it thin. Every once in a while Costco has Prime tip cut into strips. I use a yakitori marinade on them...so good.
  • greenenvy
    Options

@Eggcelsior - thanks for the suggestions. Local Costco had boneless pork ribs, but I didn't see any boneless beef ribs. I'll look again today. As for the sliced sirloin, they have that too, but the one time I tried it for a similar recipe, it turned out very dry. I think I need a cut with some good marbling.

I even toyed with the idea of trying a brisket flat, but that's an experiment I should probably save for another time.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mine does tri-tip sliced into strips too. I suppose the "sirloin tips" are from a different part of the sirloin since they sell both. I marinade for a day and then cook to medium rare. A Jaccard really helps as well.