Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Smoked Pork Butt

Options
bondod
bondod Posts: 34

I will be attempting my first smoked pork butt this Saturday.  It is roughly 10#s.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! If you don't have a controller I'd run around 275 dome as it's easier to maintain and won't hurt a thing. Plan 1.5-2 hr per pound. Relax and enjoy. That's a very forgiving cut. Start probing around 190 and when it probes with no resistance "like buttah" pull it, let it cool enough to touch and enjoy! If it finishes early, double wrap in foil the warm towels the into a prewarmed cooler. It will hold several hours this way.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,533
    Options
    Another good finish line indicator for a butt is when you can remove the bone with little to no resistance-then you are there.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!!!!! Set the vents and don't open till 190.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH