Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright @jeepster47 here's the dang tri tip

Options
theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
So, I finally found a tri tip at the local Kroger last Friday. I had so many plans I couldn't get to it until today. @Jeepster47‌ has been bustin my balls since Friday and tonight was the only day I could get it in this week. Tomorrrow is a no go because of kid commitments and Thursday will be my oldest son's (almost 13) inaugural cook on the egg. (stand by for that CI seared steaks coming up, his choice)

So, here's the tri tip:

cooked 400 raised direct to 105 ish and then let her rip and a couple of minutes a side. Rubbed with SPOG.

imageimage Overall impressions:

could have cooked it a little longer for my youngest's tastes

It is a nice cut and I can see why it would benefit from chimichuri

Fajitas are definitely on tap for the weekend

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh that looks good...

My oldest (daughter) turns 13 next month as well, Feb 27.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @DMW‌ 02/12/02 younger one 06/16/06 incredible planning on our part...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That looks good Jason. Remind me what is SPOG. Salt, Pepper,........?........?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That looks good Jason. Remind me what is SPOG. Salt, Pepper,........?........?

onion,garlic
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am slow tonight. Thanks! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ ,Hasselhof tri-tip? Looks incredible and good investment on the cutting board with the grooves
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Yep. Knocked it of the park. Congrats on the 3,000 posts
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice. :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Walt2015‌ Ha! That's a cheapo from Kmart! I asked for an end grain for Christmas, that's what I got. Oh well, serves the purpose and that thing filled er up!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Dude! NICE TRI TIP. FINALLY.

All that meaty, juicy goodness, hope you enjoyed it. It can stand up to a lot of seasoning.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Great cook! Enjoy the time with your kids!! Sounds so trite, but they REALLY do grow up so fast!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Nicely done!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... thank you kind sir for sneaking it in between family duties.  @anton, @Legume and now your tri tip all look good.  Last month I didn't even know it existed and now I want to try one.  You guys are slave drivers.

In your write-up you said; "It is a nice cut and I can see why it would benefit from chimichuri."  Is that as an after the fact seasoning or a marinate?  Why do you think it would add to the cook? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "chimichiri" @theyolksonyou‌ are you from South Dakota by chance? Only people I have heard talk about that are from SD.

If you mean chimichurri then that is different. Thats that like spicy greenish salsa or something.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ that'd be a sauce after the cook. Also, maybe a marinade on the front end would be good. There was some fat on the outside, but it seemed fairly lean on the inside. With only the SPOG it was not real flavorful, but a nice cut. Similar to filet, it would benefit from a nice marinade or alternatively, a sauce. I like that you get different IT along the length so you can satisfy multiple tastes in diners.

It's gonna make some fantastic leftovers in fajitas, or nachos, or tacos or.....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    "chimichiri" @theyolksonyou‌ are you from South Dakota by chance? Only people I have heard talk about that are from SD. If you mean chimichurri then that is different. Thats that like spicy greenish salsa or something.

The latter, I'm an engineer by training and can't spell for ****. I consulted my wife the English major, but she's on year 13 of maternity leave and can't spell anymore.

As Eddie Murphy said in (I think Raw). "Shut up Eddie, you know how to spell it!" :D
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks Jason ... just ignore Ozzie_Isaac he's been a pest for years and years.

I am looking forward to doing a tri tip ... the leftover options look great.  If you like fajitas, try pulled pork as the meat one time ... maybe I'll have another convert. 

• Jeepster47
    Options

... I'm an engineer by training ...
    What specialty?

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ my degree is textile engineering. I work in floor covering.

We do pulled pork in fajitas as well so no need to convert me. Mexican/ Tex Mex is a big part of the diet here in carpet land.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ok, so now marinate the next one in some spicy Bloody Mary mix for at least 24 hours and try that. Bam!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    edited January 2015
    Options

The latter, I'm an engineer by training and can't spell for ****. I consulted my wife the English major, but she's on year 13 of maternity leave and can't spell anymore.

As Eddie Murphy said in (I think Raw). "Shut up Eddie, you know how to spell it!" :D
    Turns out you were more right than me. I was thinking chislik. That is a SD speciality.

Don't listen to @Jeepster47‌ . He has tried ignoring me for years and I haven't gobe away. Heck he tried moving 2000 miles away and I still showed up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    Ok, so now marinate the next one in some spicy Bloody Mary mix for at least 24 hours and try that. Bam!

I will definitely play around with some more. This week just didn't work out. No time to marinade after the oldest decided he wanted control of the egg on Thursday. The rug rats are fortunate enough to have both sets of grands nearby and don't spend a lot of time at home on week ends.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    ... He has tried ignoring me for years and I haven't gobe away. ...
    Gobe away?  And you're picking on Jason?  Geez?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jeepster47 said: Ozzie_Isaac said:... He has tried ignoring me for years and I haven't gobe away. ... Gobe away?  And you're picking on Jason?  Geez?

hey, bud...the
    b is right next to the n on the keyboard so it was probably a slip of the wrist! Jamie and I have already conversed earlier today about missed strokes. Now with that cleared up, tell us more about you abandoning your offspring and not leaving a forwarding address when he came home from school? Poor tyke had to fend for himself for months is what I heard! LOL...BTW I'm still reeling from our busted CAT chops today! THAT was brutal and TOTALLY out of proportion.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very nice! I also liked that it was different thicknesses so everyone got some they liked. And it's definitely good with chim-chimney sauce.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeepster47
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @RRP ... the only thing I can tell you is that version 2 (my grandson) is a vast improvement over the original version. 

What he didn't tell you is that, yes he was left behind ... left behind in paradise.  Half of Canada winters over in Arizona, but NO he decides to return to the middle of Illinois.  Who, in their right mind, comes here for vacations?

Staying on topic ... tri tips! 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Fantastic tri-tip dude, that's how you slice it, just keep turning and slicing. I only have 4 left from my cryopac, I have to space them out. @Walt2015, hasselhof tri-tip, that's great man!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "