Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT: Viking marinade

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Hey folks,

Here's something I'm going to try, assuming I can find buttermilk with living lacto bacilli.  I don't like the flavor of juniper (what makes gin gin), so I will add a bit of nutmeg, which has some of the same flavor, or so I've read.

I suspect that after the lo-o-o-ong marinade, the fermented pig meat can be suspended on twine from an Eggs top vent, and still get the natural rotisserie effect by setting the fire up indirect.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Wow. That's interesting for sure. Looking forward to the outcome.
  • gdenby
    I've made sauerbraten a couple of times, and it was OK. I suspect fermented, not pickled, meat will be a lot better.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    cool idea, much better with the egg...  that guy's cooking setup looks like food poisoning waiting to happen - looks like it would take about a week to hit 165. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    blind99 said:
    cool idea, much better with the egg...  that guy's cooking setup looks like food poisoning waiting to happen - looks like it would take about a week to hit 165. 
    Not dangerous, just looks like. He's recreating good cooking from a few thousand years ago. He's making "wet cured" meat. Instead of salt and sugar and drying, the sour cream wipes out the dangerous bugs, and makes the meat tender at the same time. A good preservation method up in the land of ice and snow.

The smoke in an Egg should make the flavor ++ good, or so I hope.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i'm not one to criticize, i served tongue this weekend, and i've got sheep testicles on order :)  I'm all for trying weird new stuff -- looking forward to your cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle